2017 PAFF Jam: Seven Mountains Campground, 19-21 May

chuckyblack09 wrote:
Chuckyblack09, i'd be interested in giving some nighttime mousing a try! I'll be up on thursday. Let me know

Alright, sounds good! Tigertrout said he's down as well. I'll be there Wednesday to Sunday so we can Thursday night and if it works out well even a second night.

So how'd you hard cores make out? :)

Did you get in some night fishing and, if so, anything interesting to report? I forgot to ask at the jam.

Also, anyone see any snakes this year at the jam?

Most jams we have at least one report of a timber rattler. It's almost a tradition. Maybe the cold weather had 'em outa sight.

I didn't see any snakes, but I sure kept an eye out for them thurs and Friday, once Sat came, I think they were all huddled in their dens.

Coty and I saw lots of snakes. Mostly on Friday, but some after the cold front too. I believe they were all water snakes.

Same. Saw numerous Northern Waters, but that was it. Kish and Little J.

This year I saw a ring neck snake on spring, orange ring neck.
I remember seeing a timber last jam on the Little J but forgot to mention it.

Nice pics Skybay.GG

I put a review up of the JAM on my site. Sorry for the senseless plug but it's too long for here. Great times folks.
Www.keystoneflyguides.com

TimRobinsin wrote:
I put a review up of the JAM on my site. Sorry for the senseless plug but it's too long for here. Great times folks.
Www.keystoneflyguides.com

Why would it be too long to share here?

You can always cut and paste some short passages and a pic or two for those of us who don't care to follow a lot of links to other sites.

2007_5924832eb6e8f.jpg

I traveled with my son, Gino, from Monessen, and after running various errands on the way, arrived at Spruce Creek at about 3pm. We were alerted by some nymphers that a large olive colored mayfly with black wings was drawing fish up all morning. I asked if they were green drakes and they said they didn't really study bugs much since they were nymphers.

They were Green Drakes, and they were still present sporadically in the air, but not riding the surface, and fish were not taking them. That said, Gino discovered the fish were interested in caddis dries, to which I also switched and began catching fish by mostly blind casting.

Because of the decent action, we stayed until about 7 pm and not seeing the advantage of moving to the Little J at this point, we just headed to camp, taking care of the final errands of buying food stuff and booze.

Friday night was a blast catching up with old friends and acquaintances and new friends and acquaintances. I stayed up too late, but the company was pleasant.

Saturday, Gino and I fished Fishing Creek in the lower canyon. I ended skunked and Gino had a nice one on, but lost it. He stooped to nymphing for his strikes. We came back to Penns to meet up with Tom, Dave, Dave, Mick and Maurice for the anticipated, but disappointing, spinnerfall. The picture of Mick and me sums that up. But I caught one when he rose right in front of me while I was standing, staring and dreaming into the perfect spinnerfall run.

Saturday fire ring was also very festive and pleasant, and the generosity of participants made the raffle very successful.

Sunday, we went to Spring Creek at the canyon upstream of Paradise. Gino did very well, but I got the notion to go swimming less than 10 minutes after stepping into the creek. I had to walk back to the car to disrobe and empty waders and redress, and having ruined my brand new pack of smokes, thus necessitating a drive to the top of the hill for a fresh pack, it was a couple hours before I returned. Gino had had his fill and I offered to just call it quits and start heading home, which we did.

Thanks to everyone who helped, donated and participated.

Dave, I ran over a rattler coming back from Poe Paddy Thursday night. Came on it quick, tried to straddle it, don't know if I succeeded, but I'd have had to been perfect as it was nearly as long as the car wide.

pcray1231 wrote:
Dave, I ran over a rattler coming back from Poe Paddy Thursday night. Came on it quick, tried to straddle it, don't know if I succeeded, but I'd have had to been perfect as it was nearly as long as the car wide.

Dang, that's too bad. Sometimes they contract back into a coil when the car goes over 'em. Hopefully you missed him.

Jack, I remembered your report of Drakes on Spruce and caught it on my way home Tuesday. I only saw one or two drakes there, but the fish remembered them and I took several wild browns and bows on the big fly. Thanks!

Just got around to reading the review. The description of Saturday night is priceless.

Back