2016 Fish Harvest

A couple a hundred trout a year usually gets me by. Wild ones taste better but I'll take what I can get. Nothing goes to waste. I throw all the freezer burned ones out in the woods for the raccoons and foxes..... Anyone got any honey holes they want to put me on its about that time of year I'm running out.

HopBack wrote:
A couple a hundred trout a year usually gets me by. Wild ones taste better but I'll take what I can get. Nothing goes to waste. I throw all the freezer burned ones out in the woods for the raccoons and foxes..... Anyone got any honey holes they want to put me on its about that time of year I'm running out.

Why not skip the freezer burn, and toss them straight into the woods after catching them?

Streamside critters need to eat to.

Why not skip the freezer burn, and toss them straight into the woods after catching them? Streamside critters have to eat too.

I usually do that with the gemmies. Yank em and bank em! :)

HopBack wrote:
Why not skip the freezer burn, and toss them straight into the woods after catching them? Streamside critters have to eat too.

That's what I've been doing with all trout, wild, stocked, native, any and all.. Catch em and toss em up on the bank, gotta make more room for Pennsylvanias #1 gamefish...the elusive sucker

HopBack wrote:

I didn't intentionally creel any trout last year, but on one small stream, I hooked one small brown trout. I majorly overcompensated on the hookset, which resulted in an airborne small stream brownie. I tried to stop the upward movement by quickly moving my wrist downward, but that resulted in an overcompensation of downward force. Small brownie ended up getting knocked out on a rock and I don't think he made it.

HopBack wrote:

LOL. Stop at Micky D's on the ride to the stream and order a large fry. Save the fry container when your done. Those containers are the perfect size for gemmies.

a couple of stockies.

5 stockies from the frankstown branch for my uncle.

My boy caught a big rainbow that took the hook to deep.

So 6 all together.

I don't really keep trout but don't care if guys do as long as the eat them and they don't end up freezer burnt masses at the bottom of a freezer. It is a put and take system. I am not a fan of wild or native trout being killed, but its legal so it is what it is.

One redbreast sunfish, one channel catfish, and a few very small bait fish caught by fly rod as catfish bait......I think that that's all.

I kept 5 stockies out of just over 3000 trout during 2016, so a very small percentage. My wife had friends over and as I left the house to give them some peace they asked where I was headed. I told them I was fishing and they wanted me to bring some back to eat.

Bump.

This poll ended today and the survey results are interesting. 71% of PAFF folks did not harvest any trout in 2016. Only 14% kept five or fewer stockies.

While I had expected the results to skew heavily toward C&R, I'm a bit surprised how few anglers kept any stocked trout at all.

Thanks for participating! This gives us some perspective on how you think about trout harvest.

None, but I am almost positive that will change this year.

I kept 17 stocked fish of the 326 I caught. My wife loves trout and so do I. She's disappointed I release so many, but that's how I was brought up. However compared to most of you guys, I'm a meat fisherman.

Back