2011 PAFF Swap

Can I use copper wire for ribbing? Natural, yay or nay?

yay

The "All Natural" theme seems to have a following. I think since it is the PAFF Swap for 2011 that we should have a "loose" definition of all natural. As to not scare any tiers away, though this would be a very interesting specialty swap later down the road. Acceptable materials would be natural hair, feathers and fur. With exceptions being wire used for ribbing and beads.

In that case I will be tying a Soft Hackle BHPT.

Sorry not gonna be able to get in this year.

I'm going to tie some parachute Adam's. Pretty much the standard pattern but with a moose tail and just the grizzly hackle.

First 16 flies done...starting on another pattern...but unless I get them all finished...it will have to be a secret....oldie but a goodie...

Boss

What is the final tally? Are we doing 16 flies?

Just want to confirm...16 flies + a few?

Boss

2011 PAFF Swap tiers:

flyfishermanj - Katterman
boss_steb - Herl and Starling
HuntinFool - Goddard Caddis
wsender - Soft Hackle BHPT
Bruno - "Evan Williams"
FrequentTyer - Parachute Adam's
whheff - Picket Pin
redrockgrizzly
gentleshepherd - Brown Stonefly
ezpickins - Casual Dress
flytyingfred - Fred's hair and ears nymph

The total number of participants is 11. So everyone should tie and receive 10. Also, optional extra flies may be tied for Dave Kile and the Moderators who keep this site running smoothly.

Flies will be returned in the containers they were mailed in, if possible. Please write your name on your fly box- If you don’t I will. Keep in mind that the other flies may be larger than yours, so make your container large enough to handle that possibility. Please include a stamped return envelope. Whatever it costs to mail to me, it will cost me at least that to return, so match the postage. To the guys that are doing this for the first time- do not send them in an expensive fly box. I have had and seen other's flies get lost in the mail in the past.

It is nice to provide the other tyers with the fly pattern recipe, instructions, etc. At a bare minimum, provide the materials list for each part (e.g.: Hook: #14; Thread: brown; Tail: Medium Dun Hackle; etc...); preferably, give the recipe, step-by-step instructions, and a short explanation of the use of the fly; it's history, if you want, etc.

Please email me when you have mailed your flies so I can look for them in the mail. I will email you back that they have arrived safely. I will PM everyone my email and mailing address this weekend.

JH

im not sure what i am going to tie, ill decide in a day or 2. im sorry i havent responded in awhile. the only time i look at this website is when im at work -- LOL -- so i cant log in. im guessing everything on the fly has to be all natural. ill go over what everybody else is coming up with and ill think of something. sorry about the late response.

When is the deadline for this swap?

Sorry, though I mentioned it. March 1st.

Mine are done - just need your address

Send PM's with my address. Let me know if you didn't receive one. Sorry for the delay, sometimes life throws an unexpected curve ball like a death in the family at you. Looking forward to being the host and seeing the flies.

JH

No worries, I haven't even started tying for this swap!

Take care of what you need to and get back to us when you can.

Sorry for your loss - my sympathies .

whheff flies received. Nice Picket Pins I may add too!!

Bruno & wsender

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

JH

My flies are in the mail.

Adams Parachute
Hook: Allen 100 #18
Thread: Black Uni 6/0
Tail: Moose body hair
Body: Muskrat dubbing
Hackle: Grizzly

Starling and Herl:
This is a very effective grannom pattern...

Hook: Size 14 or 16 TMC 100
Thread: 8/0 or 14/0 Red Thread
Case: 4-6 strands of Peacock Herl
Legs: Sterling feather

Tie in at mid point and cover the hook to the bend.
Tie in the Herl and make a dubbing loop. Twist the herl and loop together. Wind the thread close to the eye but not to it.
Wind the loop/twisted herl to the eye. tie off and cut excess.
Tie in the Starling (very soft and fragile feathers). A couple of turns...tie off...whip finish and bada bing...make a nice head...

Boss

Back