2011 PAFF Swap

boss_steb wrote:
Do we have a winner on the swap rules...I don't tie as fast as most of you guys...is wire a natural material. Do I need to use horse tail hair to tie my flies instead of thread...what about beads?

Is the ban pretty much on synthetic blends/rubber legs/pugliesi stuff?

Boss

I would say wire would be a reasonably "natural" material.

boss - I'd say the way you lay it out sounds good to me, wire, hair, fur, feathers=good. Synthetic dubbings, mylar flash, artificial hair, rubber legs, etc = bad.

Beads? I could go either way on those.

Any other thoughts?

no domestic animal fur.. make it from the furs of past generation tyers..beaver, fox, muskrat, oppusum, etc..

My outdoor cats just laid a clean kill squirrel on my backdoor step and seemed to be pretty proud of it. Maybe I could use the tail to ties up something with that, not much else was left. LOL!

Nice...squirrel hunting cats for squirrel tails...

I need to train mine to do that...

Boss

Tiers:

flyfishermanj
boss_steb
HuntinFool
wsender
Bruno
FrequentTyer
whheff
redrockgrizzly
gentleshepherd
ezpickins

Tiers on the fence:

littlelehigh
JakesLeakyWaders
flytyingfred
flipnfly

The "All Natural" theme seems to have a following. I think since it is the PAFF Swap for 2011 that we should have a "loose" definition of all natural. As to not scare any tiers away, though this would be a very interesting specialty swap later down the road.
Acceptable materials would be natural hair, feathers and fur. With exceptions being wire used for ribbing and beads.
Non acceptable would be foam, tinsel/mylar, synthetic hair, wire bodied flies, yarn and chenille flies and rubber legs.
These "rules" are not set in stone yet and this is open for more discussion.

JH

I'm ready to start tying. Do you want to know what we are tying? How many do we have to do and when do we have to send them in?
Bill

No, you do not have to keep your pattern a secret. Go ahead and post your pattern and I set a "soft" cap of 16. It seems we may fall short of that number, but keep in mind that the deadline to still a few weeks away.

JH

you can count me in if you will have me.

flyfishermanj wrote:
No, you do not have to keep your pattern a secret. Go ahead and post your pattern and I set a "soft" cap of 16. It seems we may fall short of that number, but keep in mind that the deadline to still a few weeks away.

JH

OK, I will tie the Picket Pin for the swap.
All Natural Hackle, Hurl and Squirrel Tail. :)

Bill

Thinking about tying a stone fly but don't what to use for weight.
Any thoughts?

I think we're allowing weight, at least I hope so.

I don't see a problem with weighted flies.

JH

Technically, Lead is a natural material.

Tying a Brown Stonefly using some Brown Ostrich Herl.

Attachments

• Brown Stonefly.jpg
    Brown Stonefly.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi Y'all,

Nothing fancy this time...Herl and Starling...maybe a second fly if I get these all done soon...

First time working with Starling....very soft...

Boss

I am tying a fly that that I made up last year that was very productive for me. It aint pretty but works very well.

I call it the "Evan Williams" because it was tied under his tutelage. I am going to finally sit down and tie this evening after a couple of very hard weeks of work and study !

I will be tying a freds hair and ears nymph. It was the fly I caught my first fish on out in Yellowstone on my first fly fishing trip ever. I didnt catch the first trout but I caught the biggest one at the time.

My entry into this years swap will be the Katterman

Hook: Dai Riki 300,size14
Thread: Cream, 6/0
Tail: Brown Hackle Fibers
Body: Peacock Herl
Rib: Brown Hackle, palmered
Face: White Hackle

20090608_header.png

2011 PAFF Swap tiers:

flyfishermanj - [color=006600]Katterman[/color]
boss_steb - [color=006600]Herl and Starling[/color]
HuntinFool - [color=006600]Goddard Caddis[/color]
wsender - [color=006600]Soft Hackle BHPT[/color]
Bruno - [color=006600]"Evan Williams"[/color]
FrequentTyer
whheff - [color=006600]Picket Pin[/color]
redrockgrizzly
gentleshepherd - [color=006600]Brown Stonefly[/color]
ezpickins
flytyingfred - [color=006600]Fred's hair and ears nymph[/color]

There are still a few people on the fence and the deadline is Feb 1st, this is just a update. If anyone is interested there is still room for more.

JH

Back