Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

Re: Salmon River

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah Wulff was talking about using a size 8 white wulff for them. That's probably my favorite fly right now, so I was very interested in chasing salmon with a dry like that.

Posted on: 2012/8/25 8:54

I went to Newfoundland a couple of years ago and 80% of the Altantic salmon fishermen were fishing dry flies. Most were using deer hair bugs or Bombers, with some waking flies. Plus of course Newfoundland is the home of using riffling hitches to wake wet flies. Seeing a salmon come out of the depths to hit a dry is a blast. BTW, in Newfoundland you must use unweighted flies and floating line. There it is considered sporting to have the fish rise for a fly - and snagging, flossing etc is pretty rare when the flies pass over a fished head. They weren't even keen on mending a wet fly down in front of a fishes nose.

Never had any luck on the Salmon R with dries, or have heard of anyone else either. One steelhead nut out West told that steelhead find comfort from rocks and will basically hit up to the top of the rocks around the lie. Therefore, the prime dry fly lies have rocks up to the surface in the area - typically in a rocky tailout. Don't know whether or not this was true, but it seemed reasonable. Don't know many spots on the Salmon that fit this description.

Posted on: 2012/8/27 14:06

From Lehigh Valley
I saw steelies rising in the lower fly zone last year...I went to check it out after a guy at the fly shop told me he got a couple on dries...

Posted on: 2012/8/28 10:41

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Will be there in 6 weeks (that seems like forever)

There are small pods of fish making their way into the river now. Hoping the big runs start in about 4-5 weeks. I think the low water levels will effect the run both there and in the other Erie tribs.

Getting close to being done tying. Only about 300 more flies to go....

Posted on: 2012/8/30 10:50

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

Don't get to excited I was up on wendsday to fish the lake. The river is pathetic. At a whopping 100cfs it will be an absolute bloodbath in the dsr and lower river. If anyone remembers 2007 its worse now. It will be shoulder to shoulder from the ball park all the way to the mouth of the river. The salmon actually though more than likely wont be able to get passed the staircase with the low water. The hoards of hooligans, drunks, snaggers, and rippers will have a field day. People are going to hunt those poor fish like it's their last meal. The hatchery will more than likely be asking for egg donations again.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 17:18

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
My buddy sent me a picture of the reservoir yesterday. There is barely any water and dry in places it should by 6 ft deep. Crap is gonna get bad up there. I will more then likely be fishing the lake trolling if they don't get major rain.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 18:02

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Kings have been coming in recently. Not the big run, but hopefully it will come in the next 3 weeks. 36 days left... I can't wait!

Posted on: 2012/9/5 20:25

Good luck with that mess if you don't get any major rain events.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 21:50

From Eastern PA
I was up over labor day weekend and the reservoir was 12' below average pool. It's pretty bad.

The lake is "on fire" with people limiting out by 10 am quite often. Only problem is the 6' waves.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 11:14

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
fish the shoreline with a fly rod, you'll get them..

Posted on: 2012/9/6 19:09

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Apparently yesterday was "The Day" on the DSR.

http://www.douglastonsalmonrun.com/blog

4 weeks left!

Posted on: 2012/9/11 15:56

So was today.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 22:24

From Dauphin PA
Here we go with the mud shark crap again. LOL. Typically, the SR equals... a-holes.... elbow to elbow fishing with a-holes.... sharing fly shop / diner / lodging with more a-holes.... etc.

I like to wait until they turn black and their fins start coming off. You can catch them by hand, pop a fly in their mouth and then kick them back into the river.... FISH ON!!!!

I've been up a few times in Nov and Dec for steelies. Understood it, caught fish but still don't quite "get it". It really wasn't that great IMO. Enjoy your flossin and snagging. I did have 2 very memorable moments up there though. Watching TimY formerly from the forum cross the river in December. 1200 cfs, 26 degree air temp and 34 degree water temp... now you see him.... now you don't. Completely under and swept away above the compactor pool. Also enjoyed unknown angler climbing over log jam only to lose his balance and go down face first in a 3' thick pile of rotting salmon that had turned to gel. Yes, he was dry heaving as he walked out of site.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:21

From Chester County
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Here we go with the mud shark crap again. LOL. Typically, the SR equals... a-holes.... elbow to elbow fishing with a-holes.... sharing fly shop / diner / lodging with more a-holes.... etc.

I like to wait until they turn black and their fins start coming off. You can catch them by hand, pop a fly in their mouth and then kick them back into the river.... FISH ON!!!!

I've been up a few times in Nov and Dec for steelies. Understood it, caught fish but still don't quite "get it". It really wasn't that great IMO. Enjoy your flossin and snagging. I did have 2 very memorable moments up there though. Watching TimY formerly from the forum cross the river in December. 1200 cfs, 26 degree air temp and 34 degree water temp... now you see him.... now you don't. Completely under and swept away above the compactor pool. Also enjoyed unknown angler climbing over log jam only to lose his balance and go down face first in a 3' thick pile of rotting salmon that had turned to gel. Yes, he was dry heaving as he walked out of site.

I was wondering about what happened to TimY....

Posted on: 2012/9/13 6:21

From Dauphin PA
He moved to Chicago with his extremely hot wife. He just emailed me earlier this week about making a trip back here to fish in the fall. He just found out that he's going to be a daddy too.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 11:51

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com