Coronavirus and PA Fly fishing

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Well, I suppose someone ought to start this thread and open the discussion of the elephant in the room...

As we settle into something of a new normal with shuttered events, closed schools, cancelled sports etc., how might this affect PA FFing over the short and long term?

Obviously, nobody knows at this point as things are happening so fast.

May I hazard a guess?
I think this general situation will persist at least through March and April and maybe into May(?). It would not surprise me to see a possible increase in outdoor sports and family tourism to rural spaces. After a few weeks of this, and with the return of nice weather, folks will be extremely eager to get out. Streams, parks, and forests will have a strong pull, especially if kids are still at home and there's still the need for social distancing and sick cases continue in cities. Might more people take up things such as FFing, hiking, mountain biking, and other somewhat solitary outdoor sports?

Or might the effects be much more harmful, beyond the likely financial pinch that small business are likely to feel? FFing related businesses are already getting hit hard by event cancellations. Affect on guides and others in "the business"? Do you expect to fish more, or less... or do you have no idea?

Might FFing and similar solitary outdoor sports (I'm thinking birding especially) help with the severe mental stress and anxiety that will be concomitant with this pandemic? I think we can all agree that FFing has a therapeutic aspect.

What do you think?

(All the best to you, yours, and our FF community)

Dave W

I agree that this situation may get worse before getting better and life may not get back to normal for a while.

How most folks will react is largely unknown; but I agree, many will look to participating in more outdoor activities closer to home.

We all hope for the best for everyone. Please don't take things lightly.
Listen to the recommendations of the health professionals and take all precautions, but try to live your life as normally as possible while still being careful.

Maybe now is the time to dust off your rod and spend some time on the stream or lake and put many of your worries to rest. Be safe.

My school district (in Virginia) has yet to shut down. Once (not a matter of if) we shut down, I will probably fish every other day so long as I can.

I feel optimistic that an overall slowdown of social activities for three weeks to a month will allow for this to be "contained." I hope my optimism is correct.

Stay safe and wash your hands everyone,

T

Teacher here. Nothing confirmed, but I'd imagine most PA schools will probably be shutting down in the next week or so for at least two weeks, maybe three. FWIW.

Valley Forge TU has postponed our big annual “Trout Show” fundraiser. Not sure what the plan will be going forward but the event on 3/28/20 is not happening. Bummer.

I do think more people will be thinking along the lines of outdoor recreation, but this might be a mixed blessing. The streams will be crowded.

MD has closed schools now that community spread has been documented. I'll try to increase the amount of time I spend outdoors - but I live in a 25-floor apartment building, so that doesn't help me much unless I were to camp out for a few weeks.

My biggest fear is that eventually things get so bad that a lockdown is ordered. Nobody will get to fish if that happens...but, with all the restrictions currently in place, I think it's unlikely to get that bad.

I think fishing.....fly fishing for sure is a way to enjoy the outdoors with minimal human contact. Fishing....and if you open carry people will go out of their way to avoid you!!!!

Does anyone have information about the Doc Fritcher TU Annual Conservation Fundraising Banquet tomorrow (March 14th). Still on, postponed and\or cancelled, I am planning on going if I don’t hear anything.

I'm on vacation next week.
And - as of now - still planning on fishing in central PA. Going up Monday.

However, things are happening fast. ( Still can't believe the massive changes that have taken place just in the last 48 hours)
And I'll probably have to reevaluate things the next few days.
Fishing spring creek is hardly getting out into the woods and away from other people.

Let's hope for the best

Fishing is at or near the bottom of my priority list right now.

I'm more worried about people I care about and myself getting sick, and whether the economy totally tanks, because it that happens...

I'll be selling my fishing tackle to bolster my retirement fund.

I was going to contact the PAFBC to see if they could stock streams earlier this year and open fishing season sooner so those kids that have off school for the next few weeks could go out and enjoy the streams and nature during this great early spring weather.

Already alerted my wife to my need for more "social distancing."

I’m hoping that a return to fishing will occur, if only for this spring, by families and those individuals whose lives have been kept busy in the recent past with spring team sports and other conflicting spring activities to the extent that fishing as an activity had fallen by the wayside.

I'm going fishing tomorrow so I don't have to hear about or see anything about corona virus.

GeneBeam wrote:
Does anyone have information about the Doc Fritcher TU Annual Conservation Fundraising Banquet tomorrow (March 14th). Still on, postponed and\or cancelled, I am planning on going if I don’t hear anything.
From the Banquet page on their website:

For questions, contact Russell Collins at: info@dftu.org or call 717-580-3958.

I just got the following email:

Dear DFTU Members, volunteers, and friends;

Given the current circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, the Doc Fritchey Chapter of Trout Unlimited is postponing the annual banquet, originally scheduled for tomorrow night (Saturday, March 14, 2020). We don’t have any details about a new date at this time, but will send out more information as soon as we can.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Please be safe.

I misread the thread topic and thought this was going to be about how this novel coronavirus was going to effect PAFF, a topic I was just about to start.

I think it will drive people into self-quarantine and onto PAFF.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with you all.

I propose for the Jamboree that we all stand at least 6 feet apart at all times, even around the fire-ring, and the stream.

The National Guard Readiness Center has advised that do to concerns regarding the Corona Virus, the facility will no longer be available for the Yellow Breeches Anglers & Conservation Associations Outdoor and Sports Show scheduled for March 21st. As a result, the show is officially cancelled.

There are no plans for rescheduling at this time.

Back