Yellow Breeches section closed for stream work

Where’s the up stream Allenberry boundary? The Run ?

That would pretty much suck if they turned it into a pay to play stretch.

Allenberry property starts at the bridge above the Run and continues downstream to just below the meadow pavilion. Might as well say the entire Catch and Release section. Again, no one but the owner actually knows what the future holds for this section.

I'm guessing that this is the precursor to that section being closed and turned into spruce creek type of operation. Fill it with trophy pellet heads for the patrons of Allenby and close it to the public.
The sign shows some public partners in this. i would hope that means it will stay open forever. My tax dollars at work…
85AC9D04 6AB4 4E1A AD5C 1C471C7C3D41

Here is a map that shows the parcels owned by the Allenberry Resort marked with a red X with the parcel boundaries marked in black.

The parcels include one side of the Yellow Breeches from the Mountain Road Bridge to below the resort and the resort property on the other side. They also own a small parcel at the mouth of the Run on both sides. The rest of the Run upstream is owned by South Middletown Township.

Other folks own the three adjacent upstream parcels on the resort side of the Breeches (NOT marked with an X). What that means in regards to future access or expenses related to the stream work is anyone’s guess.

Untitled 1

If public money is in the deal, which appears to case, Fish and Boat should have had the foresight to ask for a permanent fishing access easement.

I find it interesting that TU isn't a sponsor. I also find it interesting that the Yellow Breeches Angler's club wasn't consulted regarding any input, Afterall, they stock that section quite a bit.

Does Allenberry own both sides of the creek?
See Bamboozle's post above...

This will be an interesting thread to follow over the months and years to see how things play out. "Pay to play" certainly is a way to make an "intimate" experience for those who are willing to pay!

Sorry I missed much of this - who's the new owner(s) of the Allenberry?

Sorry I missed much of this - who's the new owner(s) of the Allenberry?
Here is a thread from near the time it bought including the plans from the new ownership >

The work is being paid for by the owner of Allenberry. To the best of my knowledge no other funding is being used for this project. The owner has many plans to changes at Allenberry including the demolition of the playhouse and construction of townhomes. Bottom line, it appears to be a future Orvis endorsed fly fishing destination. If that should be the case, the state should discontinue stocking that section. Let the owner provide the fish for his clients. Much of the information is confusing and unverified,.

It already shows up as a destination on Orvis' webpage, presumably the future is now.

It already shows up as a destination on Orvis' webpage, presumably the future is now.
Allenberry has been a destination resort for Orvis for years now. There are hundreds destination lodges and resorts fishing open waters and advertised by Orvis throughout the US and across the globe.

A lot of rumors and speculation regarding this issue. Only time will tell.

I spoke with someone at Area 7 Fisheries Management the other day who told me this project has been in the planning stages for some time but the PFBC isn’t really involved, U.S. Fish & Wildlife is along with many other groups, some who aren’t on the poster. I speculated it may be tied into the Chesapeake Bay, but he didn’t know for sure.

Apparently, the folks doing the actual work have vast experience doing stream improvement so it isn’t just a bunch of concerned fishermen rolling logs and some of the work has started already up by the mouth of the Run.

Interestingly enough, the construction is being done Monday through Friday but not on weekends and I was told people ARE fishing in that section now, so I guess it will only be technically closed during the week.

I was also told Allenberry ownership & I assume the two other landowners with parcels along Section 3 (Catch & Release Artificials Only) have no intention of restricting future access however, that’s in the form of statements made, not a legal agreement or an easement so take it for what it’s worth.

He didn’t know who was paying for what so I guess if you are particularly interested you may get an answer from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service or the Cumberland County Conservation District.

One name on that poster was tied in with homewaters and Donnie B. That makes me uncomfortable but we'll see what happens

There is supposed to be a "meeting" explaining the work being done to the Breeches tomorrow at 1:00. It will be held at the Run parking lot.

Bottom of the run is now more channelized

Attachments

• 1DEC525F-0DFE-40F9-B975-481920BFAC76.jpeg
    1DEC525F-0DFE-40F9-B975-481920BFAC76.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 72
  • CD72EBE3-413A-4F9D-BD3A-8D584BB738D9.jpeg
    CD72EBE3-413A-4F9D-BD3A-8D584BB738D9.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 71
I walked this entire section this afternoon.

The construction, so far, is at the upper end of the special regulation section. It is extensive. As can be seen in Biggie' pic above, part of this is a reconstruction of the confluence of the Run and the main creek. Most of the work is upstream of the confluence.

I'll say that I am impressed with the work that I saw today (I am, generally, an advocate of stream habitat improvement projects). It is well done and in keeping with current best practices. Eroded banks have been closed with mudsills and rock vane defectors. Woody debris has been pinned in some places. It looks good.
There are shot rock piles downstream indicating additional work pending. The dam has been breached, but only a small section - about 6' - on the trail side of the stream and water levels are close to normal.

Be aware that the Run parking area is closed. Unfortunately, late last night, a fire gutted the old mill building apartment complex (this is the very old stone structure across the street from the Children's Lake dam). The stone section is intact but much of the roof is collapsed and the interior appears to be a total loss. Thankfully, there was no loss of life.

The lake itself is drawn down, but most of the lake bottom is, thankfully, still under water. In the past, draw downs that exposed the lake bottom resulted in severe sediment run-off into the Run.

Will keep you posted.

Back