Why do UTC spools suck?

JeremyW

JeremyW

I don't know whats up with the UTC spools, but I've had a couple where the edge of the spool chipped off and makes it hard to use on a bobbin because the sharp edge catches the thread. Specifically like UTC 70 olive.

Has anyone else had this issues with thread spools from UTC?

no.

i dont use utc thread but i wouldnt think color has anything to do with a broken spool

No issues so far.

no.

i dont use utc thread but i wouldnt think color has anything to do with a broken spool
only that the batch of that same color may have used the same lot of spools...

I don't know whats up with the UTC spools, but I've had a couple where the edge of the spool chipped off and makes it hard to use on a bobbin because the sharp edge catches the thread. Specifically like UTC 70 olive.

I've had sharp edges that catch the thread. Don't remember if they were UTC.
I used an emery board to smooth out the rough edge on the spool .

Nope, no problems and UTC threads are the only thing I use 99% of the time.

I had a brand new spool of red thread crumble when I peeled back the sticker to release the tag end. The whole side basically collapsed and the thread escaped the spool in loops so it was impossible to even create a new end. Straight into the trash. Great time.

No problems with UTC spools. I like the UTC colors and it is a very flat / stranded thread with few binders enabling easy thread splitting. I do not use it exclusively but I like it.

Last edited:
I had a brand new spool of red thread crumble when I peeled back the sticker to release the tag end. The whole side basically collapsed and the thread escaped the spool in loops so it was impossible to even create a new end. Straight into the trash. Great time.
I've had the same happen to me in past.

Yes. It's happened to multiple spools over the years. Sucks.

Second spool this winter .

Attachments

• 9C2EEECF-F103-40B7-8276-4DDAB96AF490.jpeg
    9C2EEECF-F103-40B7-8276-4DDAB96AF490.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 60
I’ve tied a lot over many years with UTC thread and have never experienced failure of a spool like that. I like UTC thread but don’t use it near as much as I used to and haven’t actually bought any over the past few years. However, what many of you are experiencing looks to be incredibly inconvenient, but there has never been a time that we have had as many thread options as we do today.

I’ve tied a lot over many years with UTC thread and have never experienced failure of a spool like that. I like UTC thread but don’t use it near as much as I used to and haven’t actually bought any over the past few years. However, what many of you are experiencing looks to be incredibly inconvenient, but there has never been a time that we have had as many thread options as we do today.
It is true. It has happened on such a small amount of my spools and if it does happen it's usually still usable. And if it's not usable, ok, there went $3 or whatever. If it happens enough, don't buy UTC. (UTC) is my favorite, though.

Reactions: CRB
I tie mostly with UTC and never had that happen in 10 years. I wonder if there was a certain timeframe where they had a bad batch.

Guys were carping about UTC in fly shop the other day. Not sure what the issue was, something about unwinding???? I really wasnt paying too close attention. Im just happy when i see it on the shelf. Dont use it exclusively but i do like it.

Guys were carping about UTC in fly shop the other day. Not sure what the issue was, something about unwinding???? I really wasnt paying too close attention. Im just happy when i see it on the shelf. Dont use it exclusively but i do like it.
Was the fly shop Fly fisher's? I've heard them complain about it before.

Some spools are not wound tightly (or something?). The thread ends up burying itself, in itself and eventually makes a useless tangled spool.

It' s a shame UTC thread has these spool problems. IMO it's the best conventional tying thread.

Was the fly shop Fly fisher's? I've heard them complain about it before.

No it wasnt Fly Fishers. I dont want to name it but it was in the White Haven area. Shouldnt be too hard to deduct from that clue. ;>)

Back