Where Would You Spend the Spring / Summer Trout Fishing in PA?

I'll stick where I'm at...

In this region (and I'm including the Lehigh Valley because I'm literally a Frisbee toss away), we have an abundance of Class A streams both meadow & mountain. There is no great abundance of hatches but "I don't need no stinkin' hatches."

I've lived and fished in this area almost my entire life and I'm so used to it I could care less that I don't see the famous hatches they get north of here. That also means I don't need to carry around as many flies. ;)

Besides, the two hatches I love the most are Sulphurs & Tricos and those we got plus the terrestrial fishing, another passion of mine is excellent!!

Finally, when it gets stinking in the summer, the limestoners stay cool.

In this region (and I'm including the Lehigh Valley because I'm literally a Frisbee toss away), we have an abundance of Class A streams both meadow & mountain. There is no great abundance of hatches but "I don't need no stinkin' hatches."

I've lived and fished in this area almost my entire life and I'm so used to it I could care less that I don't see the famous hatches they get north of here. That also means I don't need to carry around as many flies. ;)

Besides, the two hatches I love the most are Sulphurs & Tricos and those we got plus the terrestrial fishing, another passion of mine is excellent!!

Finally, when it gets stinking in the summer, the limestoners stay cool.

Way too many 2 legged critters and NYC folks in the greater Lehigh Valley for me compared to the central part of the state. Plus there is more diverse wild trout fishing here amongst opportunities for big water stocked trout on Pine, Lycoming, Loyalsock etc, not to mention West Branch Susquehanna.

Add in all the public land hunting, hiking and camping opportunities to the fishing and it's tough to beat.

Any place in the east central PA is within an hour or two of good fishing in all directions.

Attachments

• 0b6ebf7a-50c1-452d-b7c4-2900f3316132_text.gif
    0b6ebf7a-50c1-452d-b7c4-2900f3316132_text.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Actually I change my vote from potter to boynton/salisbury area

There is no great abundance of hatches but "I don't need no stinkin' hatches."
That's funny. :ROFLMAO:

It's true on a number of streams I fish. Since I primarily chase natives on small mountain freestones, a hatch isn't necessary to induce a strike. They're more than willing participants regardless of insect activity.

This area looks nice.
For a spring or a summer spent fly fishing PA, my map and your map are identical.

Lots to explore. Lots of trails. Excellent fishing.

I'm in Centre County. If I were to leave, I'd head back to Franklin County. I think it's criminally underrated having lived there for 10 yrs. Perry County would be right after Franklin on my list.

What would be your pick?
Another vote for State College area. Obviously there's a lot of options right in that immediate area, but the central location puts so much of the state in play.

Way too many 2 legged critters and NYC folks in the greater Lehigh Valley for me compared to the central part of the state. Plus there is more diverse wild trout fishing here amongst opportunities for big water stocked trout on Pine, Lycoming, Loyalsock etc, not to mention West Branch Susquehanna.

Add in all the public land hunting, hiking and camping opportunities to the fishing and it's tough to beat.

I give you that but the fishing for me has always been MUCH better where I'm at versus Northcentral PA. I catch MUCH larger fish down here than up there...

right where I am at, tioga county. close to streams in potter, have pine out the front door, lots of class "A" and short distance to NY fishing. western NY has great areas along with the finger lakes. I have a lot of warmwater here also.

Unless it’s a condo in southern Sarasota county for the winter months , Id just like to have to be carried out of my current residence - preferably in 20 years.

Most people live where they do for a reason - family, employment, heritage, etc and make the most of our fishing given the location.

But if you were to pick a county or area in PA only based on fly fishing for trout, where would you pick? I would be interested in a mix of spring, freestone and most importantly, natIive class A water.

Thinking Clinton, Lycoming, Potter, Sullivan or NE PA.

What would be your pick?
For native class A water, Potter, Clinton, Cameron Tioga, McKean area would be my vote.

Here's a heatmap of Pennsylvania with Class A brook trout streams.
Class A brook trout heatmap

Last edited:
I’ll stick to where I’m at. More areas than I’ll ever fish within a 2 hour drive.

Just my opinion of course, but "Class A" is such an overrated measurement for a great day of angling. I have just as good, if not better, angling for wild trout in waters that are not "class A" on a regular basis. This doesn't mean that I do not consult the "Class A" list, because I do on a frequent basis, but a stream being class A does not always mean you'll catch more fish, have a better fishing experience, or yada yada yada.

I have one stream near me that is "Class A" and it was last surveyed in the 1970's and I hate fishing it. I have at least 6 streams nearby that are not "class A" that always fish much better and leave me feeling more satisfied after an outing.

Somewhat relevant to this thread, somewhat not, but I wouldn't totally base my location on being in close proximity to "Class A" waters......

General Centre County area. If I was building a cabin, I’d go Mifflin, due to be better real estate prices. Puts you right on all the big limestoner water, and plenty of good small freestone options nearby

Equally as important, the central location makes pretty much everything in PA doable in a day trip. 2 hours-ish (or less) to Potter/Tioga/Clinton/Lycoming/Elk/Cameron, Endless Mountains/Sullivan, Poconos/Coal Country, Allegheny Front, Laurel Highlands, SC limestone spring creeks, ANF. It’s the jack of all trades spot.

Potter is awesome. And is probably my favorite of any of the above, but is so far north and isolated, it somewhat limits your other options for day trips, if exploring different water is important to you. Though, there’s plenty in Potter and the neighboring NC counties to keep you busy.

If on an “Endless Summer” style fishing binge, I generally agree with Pcray’s advice. Central PA through the beginning of June, and then up to NC PA for the Summer months.

I live in the Pocono "mountains" and get cell service practically everywhere. Now, when I head into north central PA, I rarely get cell service once off the highway. Few years ago my wife was 30 some weeks pregnant and I went camping around Elk County. She wanted me to check in with her daily in case she went into labor. I had to drive 25 min to a general store each afternoon and use the store's landline to call her. Paid the store a couple of bucks and then went back fishing.

Moral of story - If you like to "disconnect" and get away from the progressive crowd; that part of the state wins IMO. I'd like to retire somewhere north central some day but I'll admit, my house will have WIFI.

Back