What, in your mind, qualifies a fly fisher as a 'flat brimmer'?

moon,

Seen both. LOL. They've "been up for 6 days without a hook up of any type" but they will tell you what patterns are hot and how to set up your leader.

I believe these are the same guys that get uncomfortably close as soon as YOU hook up. Guess they think you found the 'honey hole'.

I've never heard 'flat-brimmer'.

A number of my friends and I fall into this visually.

We get some looks but no more than anyone else I guess.

I just think the more respectable people in the sport the better and respect isn't easily measured by fashion/age.

Well I think there's two kinds of flat brimmers.

The kind that are in Mt Oliver, Carrrick, Homewood in thier supped up civics and the kind that have dead bucks or skulls bones on their jacked up F-250 and 350's. Both are super cool- similar to guys over forty that wear affliction jeans and bald guys wearing black skull caps. So funny. hahahaha
I enjoy fly fishing a great deal.

Troy wrote:
. Being on a mountain stream when it is cloudy/raining is a situation where a buff is not needed.

sure, if you want water running off your hat down the back of your shirt - and/or you like ticks on yer neck....

nothing wrong with buffs in any conditions. I have one of these :

558fe522e4b0475870302d6c

sometimes its just fun to wear.

Good stuff, acristickid!!!

Interesting topic.

Im not really too concerned with what people wear on the stream hat wise. If you're out there enjoying nature and having fun, thats all that matters.

As for UV buffs, I finally bought one this year. Love it. Keeps the sun off your neck. Keeps the bugs out of your ears. On a hot day, dip it in the water, ring it out, and wear it around your neck, itll keep you cool.

geebee wrote:
Troy wrote:
. Being on a mountain stream when it is cloudy/raining is a situation where a buff is not needed.

sure, if you want water running off your hat down the back of your shirt - and/or you like ticks on yer neck....

nothing wrong with buffs in any conditions. I have one of these :

558fe522e4b0475870302d6c

sometimes its just fun to wear.

And I'll continue to laugh at you. How can anyone tolerate a little rain? The horror. If it's warm, suck it up. If it's cold, wear a raincoat.

Old guys, old ways= ignorance!

This is just misunderstood. Its more of a fashion sense. You will almost always notice that a flat brimmer, is a younger guy, usually into the new age of fly fishing. Expensive gear, waders, jackets ect. They are usually pretty good fisherman. Guys between the age of 20-30 is the norm. Me personally, being 21, i have a flat brim and trucker hats. I wear either one depending on the day. A flat brimmer doesnt mean anything at all, its just what the fisherman likes in hat sense. Look at older fly fisherman for instance, if you call flat brimmers flat brimmers for wearing a straight brim hat, then what do you call the guys who wear those western fly fishing hats? You know, the hats that are curved on the side with a brim all around.

So if they wear a flat brimmed hat they are stereotyped as brahs and dudes? So if they wear the western hat than people should automatically think they are fly fishing purists and they know it all. Because thats the vibe i get from those...but all in all, its just a preference.

kid wrote:
Old guys, old ways= ignorance!

Assuming anyone who has a negative opinion of flat brims is old is pretty ignorant if you ask me.

My problem with flat brims and buffs is that it seems fashion is taking over the sport. It's fishing, not modeling. The whole fashion sense of fly fishing seems a little girly to me.

Hey Troy,

Should the guys just suck it up too when they get skin cancer too? I don't always wear buff's, but when I do they offer me the best in UV protection.

NickR wrote:
Hey Troy,

Should the guys just suck it up too when they get skin cancer too? I don't always wear buff's, but when I do they offer me the best in UV protection.

If you would go back and actually read what I wrote you would see that I have no problem with people wearing them in the sun. I said I have seen people wear them in the woods when it is cloudy/raining. A poster then stated that wearing one would keep rain off their neck. I then said suck it up if it is warm or put a rain jacket on if it is cold.

If you look at flyfishing magazines from the 1970s, it's fun to see how people looked, especially 70s hair.

I'm sure today's young flyfishers will also have fun looking at their photos 30 years from now.

Come on give the fashionable a break. It's no different then all the Guys that look they they just stepped off the cover of the orvis catalog. FLy fishermen largely are and always have been a very vain bunch. Personally I chuckle at both groups but I will run as fast as I can from the orvis catalog guy before he starts asking if i have seen the latest rod shootout and how he only buys custom leaders from a guy in utah. Ill talk to the buff wearing flat brimmer and who knows I might even take my finger off the trigger.

I'll talk to any of them. Theyre fishermen. Flatbrimmer, orvis catalog lookalikes, cowboy hat guy, rubber hipper/camo jacket types, etc. Yes these are stereotypes, and many fit the personality traits that are associated with their dress choices. I've got no problem poking fun in good nature. But most of us resemble SOME stereotyped group, if not several. The reality is there's not too many in the fly fishing community that I actually despise or wouldn't happily fish with.

And, by the way, my hat is NOT a western cowboy hat. It's an Australian outback hat. :) Made in Australia and all, from a sales guy with a very down under accent. But, err, I did buy it from him in Texas at a rodeo. Lol. In the old Astrodome actually.

I don't have time to worry about how other men dress, I am too busy fishing. And I'm straight.

Glad I started this thread. It's been fun reading the various responses.

I'm 23 and I avoid them, usually dbag and "flat brimmer" can be easily used interchangeably...

Back