What happened to Save our Susky

I always had best success with yellow twisters as a kid. Yellow must be very visible or aggravating to fish because it works from bass to trout
When just playing around as a kid I'd ALWAYS throw a small little yellow Mr Twister. Smallies, rock bass, crappie, perch, bluegill all caught on it. One of the most productive lures you can throw!

From Sunbury down to Harrisburg, has anyone else noticed virtually no carp? I remember in the early 80s fishing on foot and sneaking up on schools of them that were feeding near the weed beds. I'll bet it's been 2 years since I've seen a carp in the susky. I've seen more carb in the Juniata as well as bigger schools of suckers.

Maybe the habitat has become too silt free and the water quality improved too 😊. I can tell you that there is no shortage in the Accomac/Marietta pool, Lanc/York Co. At night when the Hbg gauge is running around 4’ and the aquatic/semi-aquatic vegetation is nearly covered with water, it’s a regular carp, channel cat, and SMB fest in the near-shore weeds.

From Sunbury down to Harrisburg, has anyone else noticed virtually no carp? I remember in the early 80s fishing on foot and sneaking up on schools of them that were feeding near the weed beds. I'll bet it's been 2 years since I've seen a carp in the susky. I've seen more carb in the Juniata as well as bigger schools of suckers.

Yes. I blame bowfishing, and the PFBC for allowing wanton killing.

When I was a teenager I used to do a lot of carp fishing. I can remember on Bald Eagle Creek around Mill Hall when the carp would get so thick it would look like you could walk across them. I remember watching hundreds go by. You do not see this anymore. You'll see a couple here and a couple there but nothing like it used to be in the 90s. In all honesty it seems like a lot of fish populations have taken a hit throughout the Susquehanna basin and its tributaries.

I think it’s plausible we could see continued water quality improvements due to the bay initiative but over all fish populations becoming more unstable due to the perpetual food web destabilizing introductions of invasive species. We will see I guess these things play out over so long its hard to say what will happen in terms of the overall susky fish populations.

And yet some celebrate / advocate taking a few snakeheads and popping them into your favorite waterway. We have enough fisheries in trouble, don't need people going rogue and making things worse or completely ruining them.

When I was a teenager I used to do a lot of carp fishing. I can remember on Bald Eagle Creek around Mill Hall when the carp would get so thick it would look like you could walk across them. I remember watching hundreds go by. You do not see this anymore. You'll see a couple here and a couple there but nothing like it used to be in the 90s. In all honesty it seems like a lot of fish populations have taken a hit throughout the Susquehanna basin and its tributaries.

Attachments

• F6A959F9-FE40-4910-9281-641A2E080DEB.jpeg
    F6A959F9-FE40-4910-9281-641A2E080DEB.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 21
Can't blame bow fishermen on Bald Eagle Creek. You can't blame invasive species either. There is something else going on. This is all on the West Branch Susquehanna and its tributaries where bow fishing isn't super popular and the invasive species haven't really made their presence yet.

I've never seen a carp on the susky, but have seen/caught more musky than bass on my few trips there near the NY border. Hundreds of 2-inch bass and a few 8-inch muskies then some true beasts of muskies jumping in the main current. All those spots were very rocky. Near me, on the skuke there's bass that you can find, not many big ones or numbers. The only carp I see are at my catfishing spot where it's all silt, I'm talking all over 2-foot commons. The catfish are healthy and the two I got so far from there both took live bait and were multiple pounds overweight for their length. That spot also holds a lot of flatheads and not many smaller fish. Both channel cats were over 7 pounds and the flatheads we got close enough to see were over 10 pounds. Muskies are spawning there with an abundance of little ones. I always thought the susky was better than the skuke, but it might not be in certain spots.

Back