Elsie Darbee's March Brown Nymph

Hook – Standard wet fly style

Thread – Black

Tail – Mallard flank fibers

Back – Pheasant tail

Ribbing – Tan silk, floss etc

Body – Blend of light and dark hares’ ear

Hackle – Hungarian partridge

With the arrival of cold late autumn weather, it's muskie season on the rivers.

Here's one of my favorite styles: Heavy deer hair collar to push water, black and orange (always a great color combo) with multi-hooks set back with a shank, and some gold flash.

Attachments

• msk56.JPG
    msk56.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 3
Which river. Nice colors.

Baron wrote:
Which river. Nice colors.

Thanks. Black and orange is a favorite of mine for periods when the water has some stain, which is usually the best time to fish streamers for many species, muskies included.

All of PA's large river systems hold muskellunge.

Based on where I live here in SCPA, I mainly target the Potomac, Juniata, and Susquehanna, as well as some smaller waters.

I remember canoeing past them as they were sitting stationary in the water. sometimes only a few feet from us. They can be scary looking up close. Ive seen them in the Lehigh and the Delaware.
Though I've only crossed it and never fished it the Potomac looks perfect for them.

I got a serious question and that is how do you cast that monster and please don’t take this offensively just the wind interference which seams like the river wind is blowing in your face or is it a boat dragger (meaning throwing it from the back of the boat into the current and letting the current take your fly) I’m bouncing between 9 weight wulff ambush 375 and a mid rate full sink line and it’s not that I’m getting that bad of a distance it’s that you always want more. I’m just breaking in a 11ft 7wt switch that is going to take some time to figure out.Black and orange are the school colors That I pay tax’s for lol which is by the Susquehanna. Nice tie love the big crazy stuff

melvinp wrote:
I got a serious question and that is how do you cast that monster and please don’t take this offensively just the wind interference which seams like the river wind is blowing in your face or is it a boat dragger (meaning throwing it from the back of the boat into the current and letting the current take your fly) I’m bouncing between 9 weight wulff ambush 375 and a mid rate full sink line and it’s not that I’m getting that bad of a distance it’s that you always want more. I’m just breaking in a 11ft 7wt switch that is going to take some time to figure out.Black and orange are the school colors That I pay tax’s for lol which is by the Susquehanna. Nice tie love the big crazy stuff

Casting flies like this is certainly tough.

To start, it's virtually impossible to roll cast these things (my muskie flies are weighted) which makes FF muskie fishing very difficult for wading or shore bound anglers due to most of our rivers having sloped banks that are forested. You need room to backcast and an angler in a boat casting toward shore is at a major advantage.

Anyway, I like sinking lines for this game. Keep your forward casts "underslung" meaning the forward loop has the fly coming in low. This takes some practice and doesn't make for long casts but it does make casting such big flies easier over the course of a day. Making a lot of casts and not getting worn out are keys to successful muskie fishing.

Thanks for the information and good luck

Stonefly from Henry Ramsay's book Matching Major Eastern Hatches.

Attachments

• IMG_8632.jpg
    IMG_8632.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8633.jpg
    IMG_8633.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 3
Jungle-berg-1080.jpg

Jungle-berg

A play on a Hornberg

Hook - Mustad R74-9672, size 8-14

Thread - Black

Body - Flat gold or silver tinsel

Outer - Wing - Matched Jungle cock side feathers

Cheeks - Jungle cock nails

Hackle - Brown and grizzly hackle

Keep it coming as this new fly-Tier is eating this up. I know I should but I don’t fish stonefly. I transition to warm water species about the time they come along. Perhaps they would do well for me as the big male BG stArt looking for nesting sites in april

Syl_s_Midge_1080.jpg

Syl's Midge (Sylvester Nemes)

Hook - Standard wet fly style

Thread - Black

Body - Peacock herl

Hackle - Hungarian partridge

Just wondering if others tie in treble hooks as stinger hooks. I have been tying most of my wooly buggers this way for a couple of years. I usually snip off the main hook to reduce fouling the stinger on it.

Attachments

• Wooly bugger 2.jpg
    Wooly bugger 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 4
Arminacast wrote:
Just wondering if others tie in treble hooks as stinger hooks.

I do, however I almost always clip off one of the points.

This would be a good topic for a separate thread as I'd like to comment further on this issue.

Now that it's winter, I'm working up some classic streamers for framed art projects. Here's a Grey Ghost...

Attachments

• GG23.JPG
    GG23.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 2
Easier with Turbo Scan:

Attachments

• Doc - Dec 10 2020 - 1-22 PM.jpg
    Doc - Dec 10 2020 - 1-22 PM.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1
Little-White-Streamer-1080.jpg

Little White Streamer

Hook - Straight eye streamer hook, size 8

Thread - White

Tail - Red hackle fibers

Body - Pearl flat braid

Wing - White polar bear, bucktail, calf tail or goat hair under a small amount of gold and green flash

Throat - Red hackle fibers

Head - White with a small black dot to represent an eye

Black Ghost...

Attachments

• IMG_E0238.JPG
    IMG_E0238.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back