>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fishidiot

Folks,
Let's continue our fly tying posts here. It's bitter cold out and there's never a better time to tie flies! So let's see what yuh got. . .

EDIT: This thread is a continuation of the previous thread of the same title which was closed due to the thread size You can view the previous thread (but not post) here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been tying up these. I am relatively new at tying but like the way they are turning out. I was told by Wilcox that these are deadly as a dropper when BWO's are emerging.

Wilcox Green Machine, size 18:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 7
I am tying a little of everything getting ready for a show. I would like to share a pattern with everyone. This is a Tubifex worm. Take a size 16 standard shank hook. Use medium bright colored red thread (I like 6/0 unithread) and wrap it from front to back and then back over it again .Whip finish it. That's it. This will usually out fish the more complicated pattern with more steps and materials. This worm is a sewage worm. It can and does live in very poor quality polluted water. Every stocked hatchery fish has eaten them as well as many lake and mud bottom streams fish. Bigspring used to be my #1 stream to fish them on. Now that the hatchery is gone it does not seem as important as it once was.

Tubifex tubifex is the critter responsible for whirling desease.

Tried these the other night.

Shawn, nice looking ties there. Yuo should come and tie with us some time.

GenCon

McGinty_zps87955f73.jpg

In an attempt to spook a huge flock of crows off of my property the other week I acquired some new fly tying materials. All that it cost me was one 20 guage shotgun shell. The wing feathers (primary and secondary) were beautiful so I cut off the wings, deboned them and treated them with borax. The quills would be great for cricket wings, black wingcases or any other black quill wings. I was trying to see how the other feathers on the wings could also be used. I cranked out a couple of types of flies using the crow covert feathers tying them in soft hackle style.

The first fly is a standard soft hackle style fly. The crow feathers have a very characteristic rearward sweep to them giving the fly the look of a spider type of soft hackle. I called it the Purple Crow. I love the look of Pearsall's silk in purple on a wet fly and so do the fish.

The second fly is standard type of carp fly. I have called this one my PMC. Named after the three primary materials used to tie the pattern. (P) - pheasant marabou tail, (M) - mink fur (brown) tied in a dubbing loop for the body, (C) - crow covert feather tied in soft hackle style as the collar. A couple of strands of black/pearl krystal flash in with the tail and some black bead chain eyes and its a carp fly and it should look good mudding around in the silt this summer.

Oh yeah, the flock of crows haven't been back since.

Attachments

• The Purple Crow.jpg
    The Purple Crow.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PMC Carp Fly.jpg
    PMC Carp Fly.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 6
John, nice ties!. I like how you solved that crow issue. Looks like you got some good materials too!

John, really great flys. Love the use of the crow. Name of the carp fly is a good one.

GenCon

The classic white Wulff. There is nothing better IMO than to cast a huge White Wullf at dark and have something explode it.

This fly is one of my old favs.

Hook - Mustad 94833 size 6
Wing and tail - white calf body hair
body - white sparkle yarn
hackle - silver badger saddle

Fun to tie, fun to fish. Hard to beat that.

GenCon

Attachments

• White Wulff.jpg
    White Wulff.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 5
Thats $ right there. Nice tie, Mike!

dc410 wrote:

The first fly is a standard soft hackle style fly. The crow feathers have a very characteristic rearward sweep to them giving the fly the look of a spider type of soft hackle. I called it the Purple Crow. I love the look of Pearsall's silk in purple on a wet fly and so do the fish.

Are you using pearsall's floss? If so, where do you get it in purple?
Thanks!

Great looking White Wulff, Mike. I always keep a few of them handy when fishing warmwater in the evening. It is a blast to see a nice smallie come up a crush one right at dark. Mired deep in the bowels of winter, it is refreshing to think about those evenings and look forward to the upcoming season.

BradFromPotter wrote:

Are you using pearsall's floss? If so, where do you get it in purple?
Thanks!

Yeah, I always referred to it as Pearsall's silk. I used to buy it at a fly shop in Lancaster which is no longer in business. I have about six or eight different colors. My favorite colors are Primrose yellow, Hot orange and Purple. For some reason I have always seemed to catch a lot of fish on the purple. Maybe its just because I fish them with more confidence. Not really sure. I'm really not sure where to get it today but when my purple spool runs out I will be looking for it.

Attachments

• Pearsall's Silk.jpg
    Pearsall's Silk.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 9
Just finishing up the Carp Swap Flies...
Most of the flies I tie are comparatively tiny trout flies, so this was an interesting change for me....Recipe in the carp swap thread....

Attachments

• IMG_7640.JPG
    IMG_7640.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 5
dc410 wrote:
Great looking White Wulff, Mike. I always keep a few of them handy when fishing warmwater in the evening. It is a blast to see a nice smallie come up a crush one right at dark. Mired deep in the bowels of winter, it is refreshing to think about those evenings and look forward to the upcoming season.

Thanks guys, thanks John your quote will stick with me.

GenCon

Sulpher soft hackle emergers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back