Wader Longevity

Like most fly fishing I go with medium priced stuff - works fine and not hugely expensive. Been happy with Dan Bailey, Orvis Silver Label, and Simms Tributary waders. Can't justify price of top of the line waders, but the guides I know use top of the line Simms. I'm out about 50 to 100 days a year and can't spend $800 for waders.

Can go too cheap though. Have had terrible luck when I used to try off brands to save money. Some of those were more Aquaseal than fabric after a short time. Also fit is better with better waders.

I used to be on the lookout for sales, close-outs etc and did find some real deals. However, lately have just looked at Patagonia and Simms low and mid range waders and picked one. Time is worth more than the money I saved, but your needs may be different. Time saved patching waders is also important. Some leaks are devilishly hard to find.

About 10 years ago sent back a pair of original Simms guide waders(before the G3s) and they were able to replace the booties. At the time it cost me around $60+shipping I got about 4 more years out of them fishing the Erie tribs.
Drop them a call you might be surprised that they can repair them.
Can't hurt making them a back up pair.

I don't think you ever want to use aquaseal on those neoprene booties. You get a lump in there and then it gets pushed against your foot when you're waiting and becomes extremely uncomfortable or wears a hole through

I have my current set of “ simmsG3 “ love them , i guess like most guys have said you have to take care of your gear , wearing jeans under them will kill the seams, after use hang and dry .... wash them with some warm water ,i dont use detergent , and dont leave in back of truck in a bag untill next time in river
take care of them and they will take care of you ,im on almost 5 seasons of year round use and all is good ,well worth the price
David

Have had my Simms Guide Series and Freestone Series waders for over 15 years and the Guides only just last year sprung a small pinhole leak and the Freestones (which don't get used as much) are still leak free so I'd say that qualifies as pretty durable.

Back