Vote "YES" for clean water

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
FISH AND BOAT COMMISSION URGES SUPPORT FOR REFERENDUM
October 28, 2008

Harrisburg, PA - Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Executive Director Dr. Douglas J. Austen today urged citizens to vote “Yes” on Election Day for a $400 million referendum to help upgrade the Commonwealth’s aging wastewater and drinking water infrastructure.
“Statewide, nutrient pollution from old facilities compromises local and downstream water quality and combines with other factors like low flows and high temperatures to stress game and non-game species of fish, amphibians, mollusks and reptiles,” said Dr. Austen. “While we have made strides in curbing many sources of impairments to our waterways, wastewater systems that are past their service life or in need of repair pose significant threats to the long-term viability of Pennsylvania’s fisheries.”

Fishing and boating are big business across the country and in Pennsylvania. According to the most recent figures from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, anglers spent $42 billion nationwide in 2006.

“In the Commonwealth, close to one million anglers spent nearly $1.3 billion in 2006 as they enjoyed the incredible fishing opportunities afforded by our lakes, rivers and streams,” Dr. Austen said. “Residents and tourists enjoy some of the finest and most diverse fishing in the nation, adding to the quality of life, offering wonderful recreation, fueling local economies, and positively impacting all of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties.”

Expressing support for the measure, Dr. Austen said, “Fish cannot vote, but anglers and boaters can. By voting ‘Yes’ for the Clean Water Referendum on November 4, every Pennsylvanian who values clean water will be investing in our future and helping to protect and improve the waterways that make Pennsylvania such a special place to live, work and visit.”

The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities. For more information about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at www.fishandboat.com.

We better get started somewhere- this is a quote from an article from the WSJ.

"A recent study by the 30-member Sustainable Infrastructure Task Force, convened by Governor Edward G. Rendell, estimates that drinking water and wastewater systems statewide need at least $36.5 billion over the next 20 years to maintain reliable service."

I voted by absentee and voted "yes" on this ballot issue.

http://www.smartvoter.org/2008/11/04/pa/state/rfrnd/Act-64/

Here is the question to appear on the ballot:
Do you favor the incurring of indebtedness by the Commonwealth of $400,000,000 for grants and loans to municipalities and public utilities for the cost of all labor, materials, necessary operational machinery and equipment, lands, property, right and easements, plans and specifications, surveys, estimates of costs and revenues, prefeasibility studies, engineering and legal services and all other expenses necessary or incident to the acquisition, construction, improvement, expansion, extension, repair or rehabilitation of all or part of drinking water system, storm water, nonpoint source projects, nutrient credits and wastewater treatment system projects?

My question, why do we need a ballot initiative for this? What the he$$ are we paying our representatives for?

It is the borrowing part, not the spending part that requires a referendum. I don't know the details, but I guess the state government is going to lend to municipalities and other entities under a bond issue pledging the credit of the Commonwealth, which apparently requires voter approval.

So, next year we'll vote to borrow money for fuzzy animals. Then motherhood and apple pie the next year...

Who's gonna vote against clean water?

albatross wrote:
So, next year we'll vote to borrow money for fuzzy animals. Then motherhood and apple pie the next year...

Who's gonna vote against clean water?

...anyone who reads the question in the way it is worded...

So where does the other $200,000,000 come from?

From what I can glean this will cost taxpayers $625M. Rendell should take this out of his Redevelopment Assistance Capital Projects fund which has $800M. Anyone want to bet how much of this goes to Philadelphia? Local water authorities should take on the costs of their own improvements. Mine did and I'm already paying for it. I'm not interested in funding someone else's.

Back