Tippet Ring

S

steve98

Saw this mentioned in another thread. Just what is a tippet ring?

ty
Steve98

It's an rather smart piece of gear which is just a tiny and strong metal ring. It can be used to tie tippet to, add a dropper from, etc, all by using common knots like a clinch. They make a leader last much longer due to not having to constantly lose part of your leader to add tippet.

i am a newbie and just started using them and love them. makes things much easier for me. i use the 2mm or 2.5mm.

4 years? Wow WT2, that is truly impressive.
I can second that. I typically only change mine once a year, and that is just to err on the side of caution. With a mono rig for nymphing or even a furled leader for other applications, one ought to do you a good long time. I like the bigger ones, even up to the "steelhead" size, which will last forever and seem to be even more knot friendly on tippet, perhaps because of the added and more rounded surface area.

Where do you place the ring on the leader?
Can it be used while fishing dries?

TY
Steve 98

Tie the tippet ring to the end of the leader using a clinch knot… tie the tippet to the tippet ring using a clinch knot….and off you go.

Yes you can use them for dry fly fishing

One problem with tippet rings is that they're tiny and easy to drop.
I get around this by tying them on to 4lb mono (at my tying bench) and then cutting off about a two inch tail. I then tape several of my ring/line units into a small plastic box (from dental picks).
If I have to replace a ring on the stream, I just take out one of my pre-tied rings, tie it to the leader and snip off the holding mono.

On a whim I recently bought a pack of tiny barrel swivels. (They are marked as size 16 - I didn't know that swivels had size designations.) I have started using them in place of a tippet ring. The rings on each end of the swivel are about 2mm diameter. Crazily, they are way cheaper than tippet rings. Not that I go thru a lot of tipet rings, but I do lose them occasionally. But they are easier to handle when tying onto the tippet. They are not noticeably heavier than tippet rings. Using them with lopsided dries prevents a twisted tippet.

One problem with tippet rings is that they're tiny and easy to drop.
I get around this by tying them on to 4lb mono (at my tying bench) and then cutting off about a two inch tail. I then tape several of my ring/line units into a small plastic box (from dental picks).
If I have to replace a ring on the stream, I just take out one of my pre-tied rings, tie it to the leader and snip off the holding mono.

I don't use tippet rings except on rare, rare occasions but have you ever tried threading them on a safety pin?

The trick is to NOT try and take them off the pin until at least ONE end of your leader or tippet is attached.

I started using a tippet ring not to long ago. Game changer. Mine came on a little fishing snap. Tie on then remove from snap. Simple.

Never tried a tippet ring since we build our own leaders. Also, I terminate with a Davy knot that doesn't use too much material when I tie on a fly. (I know, I'm just talking myself out of tippet rings.)
I manage to snag and break off at unreachable vegetation anyway - I'd probably lose as many rings as I use.
I'll continue with blood and surgeons knots while my eyes are good and my hands aren't arthritic (yet).

I don't use tippet rings except on rare, rare occasions but have you ever tried threading them on a safety pin?

The trick is to NOT try and take them off the pin until at least ONE end of your leader or tippet is attached.
Good idea. 👍 I place the tippet ring on a magnet for threading purposes. It is fairly easy to keep part of the tippet ring in contact with magnet while threading the line through.

I use Orvis tippet rings, they come on a snap swivel.

Attachments

• tippet.png
    tippet.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 4
I use Orvis tippet rings, they come on a snap swivel.
RIO too. I was not aware anyone was selling them not on a swivel, but like I said above, it's not like I've bought a pack in the last 5 years or more since they last for so long. Good point above about checking for nicks and sharp edges. I also use those micro swivels for streamers sometimes.

Back