tiny hackles

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

where do you trico/midge guys get hackles for the really tiny stuff? even my Whiting Premium capes don't give me many hackles smaller than a 24, what should I do to hackle the 28's?

what should I do to hackle the 28's?

unfortunately materials cannot be sized proportionately for these micro patterns.

try some spikey dubbing

IMO, flies smaller than 24 don't need hackle for realism or to float. I often tie a thread body and a little CDC or poly yarn for the wing. Easy to tie and catches fish.

I always seem to be able to find hackles small enough for the teeny tinys, on the very top of the necks I use - mostly #3 metz.
You could always clip the hackles down too.
There ain't a whole lot of difference in size between a #24 and #28 anyway

As Fish says - CDC.

If I want a small high riding lead fly. I will tie in a skinny CDC feather by the tips and wrap it the small as a hackle. I will then clip the bottom fibers, leaving a little bit below the hook shank and clip the top fibers to length. Put a little Tiemco Dry Magic on the CDC fibers and I find it floats well. I usually tie this pattern on a 24-26 and will fish a smaller CDC fly with fibers tips extended over the eye to represent an emerger.

+1 dryfly, actually eBay is a good place to start. Last week I bought a grizzly neck for 5bucks and it has hackles small enough for a 20-28 fly. CDC works well, but those hackles riding your fly alittle higher could be just the ticket.

afishinado wrote:
... I often tie a thread body and a little CDC or poly yarn for the wing...

Don't forget about foam.

Pale Midge Emerger-
IMGP1771_zps749482e4.jpg

TMC 2488 size 24.

Most capes have feathers in these sizes but they are very short. You only need a turn or two, so its not a problem. Also, oversizing a bit is usually okay and I would rather tie a 28 with a 26 hackle than clip it shorter. Foam, CDC, snowshoe all produce a lower profile that might be taken as an emerger or cripple. That might be just what they are eating, but as LetortAngler points out, sometimes you need a proper dry.
Mike.

I have bought whiting saddle in size 28 to 32. Some of it is the size stated, some isn't. Try the feather emporium. on line.

You can always clip the hackle, I usually tie the really small stuff with a thread body and hackle for wings and legs and clip the hackle under the hook shank. Keep in mind the the wongs of midges are long in proportion to the body so the hackle can be long relative to the body.

cdc ...or a parachute style should allow you to use a slightly over sized hackle.

If you are dead set on using hackle in those sizes, I would say grab your hackle gauge and take a trip to your nearest well-stocked fly shop. If they say you can not look at and inspect the hackle go else where.

Online options: I have found Jim Slattery of jimsflyco.com to be very helpful

Whiting used to have 100 packs. They were sized down below 24's but they stopped making them. The other option is a Whiting midge cape. You will have plenty of feathers on the midge cape for all your small flies.

Google the 100 packs and see if anybody has some of the smaller sizes.

whheff wrote:
Whiting used to have 100 packs. They were sized down below 24's but they stopped making them. The other option is a Whiting midge cape. You will have plenty of feathers on the midge cape for all your small flies.

Google the 100 packs and see if anybody has some of the smaller sizes.

I know Orvis has them down to a size 22 and J. Stockard has them down to 20, I'm considering a midge saddle or two, but I'm not sure what colors I'll need...

The feather emporium has whiting 100's down to size 32 and he has a lot of color choices.

^I'll give it a shot.

I've never ordered from feather emporium and he is not the cheapest but his site has some sizes and colors that you don't see much and you can mix and match up to 3 sizes and colors in a 100 pack for a little more $. As for the midge saddle, be careful and don't just go order one hoping it has tiny hackles on it because I have a bronze grade midge saddle and it is mostly 18's and a few 20's but nothing smaller than that.

There's a time and a place for CDC.

Size 26 flies is one of them.

afishinado wrote:
gfen wrote:

There's a time and a place for CDC.

Size 26 flies is one of them.

Yes.

Why use hackles?

I like my flies to float high and dry. And nothing floats a fly like hackle IMO - even on the teeny stuff. And I also still prefer the way a hackled fly looks.

Plus - I have lots of necks with tiny hackles on the top.

So, why not use them ?

I will use hackle instead of CDC because I like my flies to float higher too. They are easier to see, at least for me. I don't have to treat the CDC or dry it after catching a fish and if I want my fly in the film, I just trim the bottom off.

No one is wrong here, it is just a matter of personal choice on what you like to tie and not what the fish likes.

Just my 2 cents. :)
Bill

Back