There goes the neighborhood...

I've often seen two A-10's flying over the Susky going south. They kind of sneak up on you. But never very low. On the Missouri in July this year there was a wild fire. A huge plane came right over the mountain and scared the heck out of me. One second it is dead quiet and the next there is a huge deafening roar of four propeller engines directly overhead at maybe 300'. They have a mechanism to lower into Holter Lake and scoop out hundreds of gallons of water to drop onto the wild fires.

This proposal was withdrawn by the Maryland ANG, presumably under pressure from a large number of groups and individuals. I had an afternoon up there a few years ago and experienced their flyovers firsthand; it really ruined the peace and quiet of the area I was in and I'm glad to see it was defeated, for the sake of the residents and folks pursuing outdoor activities in the region.

Really glad to see this withdrawn. The current permitted training flights are bad enough and sometimes drop below the permitted altitude. In the past the flights have woken up my children and caused our horses to spook.

If the Maryland ANG wants to fly 100 feet off the ground, they can do it over Maryland.

Fighter jets fly regularly over the Fishing Creek Narrows in Clinton County and nearby. Does anyone know where they are based? This isn't something new, it's been going on for years.

Fine by me. I didn't get to see many flyovers while riding in a submarine.

Fine by me. I didn't get to see many flyovers while riding in a submarine.
I'd say that was a good thing. Had a friend who was a submariner, it takes a special kind of person for that kind of service and I respect each and every one of you. I'm too claustrophobic for that **** and prefer the wide open spaces.

I grew up about.. 15 miles from FTIG, I'm used to hearing A10's and other various artillery being tested. Thank you Vets!

A number of times over the years, especially during afternoon autumn turkey hunts, I have been sitting quietly, sometimes with my eyes closed (hopefully not snoring) when a pair of loud jets zoomed over the top of a mountain, abruptly waking me up. My dad, a military veteran of WW II, told me that sometime we might be grateful for those guys who were training in those planes and that some loud noise, though inconvenient and disturbing, might be a good thing in the long run.

A number of times over the years, especially during afternoon autumn turkey hunts, I have been sitting quietly, sometimes with my eyes closed (hopefully not snoring) when a pair of loud jets zoomed over the top of a mountain, abruptly waking me up. My dad, a military veteran of WW II, told me that sometime we might be grateful for those guys who were training in those planes and that some loud noise, though inconvenient and disturbing, might be a good thing in the long run.
Yep, like it or not, that's the sound of freedom.

I'd say that was a good thing. Had a friend who was a submariner, it takes a special kind of person for that kind of service and I respect each and every one of you. I'm too claustrophobic for that **** and prefer the wide open spaces.
Preference for the wide open is one of the reasons it wasn't a lifetime career for me. I wasn't too worried about the USSR since the main enemies were boredom and separation from family.

Just this week for the 3 time in the last year we had 2 - 4 engine prop planes come from the east maybe 200-300 ft above the ground. You hear the sound then within 15 seconds they are pretty much over my house. Then make a turn to the northwest along Rt 6. You can see the silhouttes of the pilots! Not sure what plane they are...maybe a C-130?

I've often seen two A-10's flying over the Susky going south. They kind of sneak up on you. But never very low. On the Missouri in July this year there was a wild fire. A huge plane came right over the mountain and scared the heck out of me. One second it is dead quiet and the next there is a huge deafening roar of four propeller engines directly overhead at maybe 300'. They have a mechanism to lower into Holter Lake and scoop out hundreds of gallons of water to drop onto the wild fires.

I miss the A 10s man, used to see the them all the time prior to the Willow Grove Base

I miss the A 10s man, used to see the them all the time prior to the Willow Grove Base
Dear bringthepain,

Please note I am not singling you out with my response.

Forty years ago I was a WCS, "Weapons Control Systems to the uninitiated", troop at the main test squadron for the USAF at Eglin AFB. We used modified F-4 C's D's and E's, F-15's, F-16's and A-10's to test in live conditions all the latest and greatest weaponry.

When General Schwarzkopf did the video play by play every night on the news during the Iraq war I was so excited. All those laser guided bombs were things I helped develop and test. I was proud to see that something I played a part in worked as planned.

Forty years later, I'm not feeling it anymore. Bombing the crap out of people to keep weapons manufacturers solvent ain't sustainable. We haven't actually won a war since WWII, Grenada doesn't count. But many lives on both sides have been destroyed.

For what?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Me too! If coming from the north they would go over my office on Haycock Cove at Nockamixon.

But, we did have the second restored WW2 B-29 Super-Fortress bomber flying over our house repeatedly this past weekend and we took a tour of the cockpit….radio man position and flight engineer’s position forward to bombardier in the glass nose cone. The rest of the crew had to crawl through a 27” dia aluminum tube to go aft. It was an eye-opener and made you think about what those boys went through with many sacrificing their tomorrows so we could have our todays. Perhaps those around the nation who complain about military aircraft flyovers should think a little more deeply about that.

Last edited:
Me too! If coming from the north they would go over my office on Haycock Cove at Nockamixon.

Your office was in Haycock Cove? Thats awesome. I spent a lot of time there night fishing in the early 90s! Some very fine memories in that spot

Back