The Unreasonable Virtue of Fly Fishing by Mark Kurlansky

R

rrt

This book probably will appeal to relatively new fly-fishermen. I thought it would be a book extolling the virtues of fly-fishing and would include a lot of philosophic matter. Instead, it provides a pretty nice overview of many aspects of fly-fishing, including brief sketches of the histories of fly-fishing in Britain and America. It also includes brief histories of the development of rods, reels, fly lines, and waders. It includes a brief chapter about female fly-fishermen.

Kurlansky notes that fly-fishing is the hard way to catch fish, but he does not go into great detail about why this is so, again an overview. He discusses the "words" of fly-fishing by discussing a few books that have fly-fishing as portions of their content, including "A River Runs Through It" and Hemingway's story "The Big Two-Hearted River."

If you're looking for overviews about a number of things that are parts of fly-fishing, this might be a good book for you, especially if you have been fly-fishing for only a few years. Experienced fly-fishermen who like to read will have read about most of Kurlansky's topics in more detail than he presents here.

The book flows well and is easy to read. For young/somewhat new fly-fishermen, this would be a nice book to read. Long-time fly-fishermen/readers might enjoy it as a summary/review of much they already know.

For newer flyrodders, I think I'd rate it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5. For older ff/readers, a 3.0 might be about right.

My wife found it online for a reduced price, so for me it was worth the reduced price and provided a couple nice evenings of reading. It was certainly a better use of my time than watching the crap on television.

Back