Susquehanna 10/1

W

Woolybugger

Another wonderful day on the Susky. I started at 2pm and fished until dark, 7pm.
Solid action from the time I started until the time I left. I caught 17 smallmouth bass and 11 fall fish. I used my 5wt today. Next time I'm taking my 6wt, bass over 15" are too much for a 5wt.
All fish were caught on olive or black woolybuggers. Weightless with a sink line......... Mastery Streamer Express invis tip. That is the best line I've ever used. Invis line with a 3' piece of 6lb flourocarbon...... the streamers look better than live bait and suspend a couple inches off the bottom.......... best $59 I ever spent! Higher numbers than a spin rod!!!

PS - I just noticed the "warmwater" section. I think I can post pix here? Way to go, Fredrick! looks like you were busy!

IMGP1883.jpg

IMGP1890.jpg

IMGP1894.jpg

IMGP1899.jpg

Nice Pics.........I was wondering why you didn't post in this section yet :-D .... I just wish that I places to fish like the Susky closer to my house but I will guess I will have to settle for Schuylkill :-(

Sounds and looks great. Lots of other people have been saying that the Susque is nearly dead, but you caught 17 smallmouth. So now I'm confused. What is the state of the river?

(I don't live near the river, but have made the trip and enjoyed fishing it and the Juniata various times over the years.)

Fallfish -- Probably the most underrated sport fish in our rivers. These guys have beauty, elegance and spunk that folks seem to overlook. They can also get quite large in river ecosystems. I managed to snag a 11" fallfish this weekend! What a blast!

"Sounds and looks great. Lots of other people have been saying that the Susque is nearly dead, but you caught 17 smallmouth. So now I'm confused. What is the state of the river?"

I was one of the people that said the Susquehanna is nearly dead! LOL Also that was my best trip in the last three months! The Susquehanna is only 5% of what it was ten years ago. The "state of the river" is poor........... but Mother Nature is a powerful thing.

I know the habits of the few remaining bass, and where they feed when the sun goes down. I use the ultimate streamers for the shallow water, and I'm a experienced flyrodder. Not bragging...... it's just that fly fishing is my passion. I can put a fly in front of a smallmouth bass and he will grab it over a live minnow!

Almost everyone I talk to isn't catching any smallmouth. Most have given up. You're correct, the Susquehanna had a horrible four years in a row.Ten years ago, I would have landed over a hundred smallmouth bass in the 5 hours that I fished.

I put a lot of research and testing into tying the perfect streamers. I wish I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! I release all the fish unharmed, even the legals >15".

Back