Stream Reports for Paflyfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
P
+2. I'm tired of people thinkin that its 'there' stream. They where put here for all to enjoy.

Last edited:
P
+2. I'm tired of people thinkin that its 'there' stream. They where put here for all to enjoy.

Last edited:
P

Last edited:
W
water temp. increasing drastically with no mountain snows and warm temperature.47 deg.f in cross fork today.kettle creek looks beautiful.

Last edited:
W
water temp. increasing drastically with no mountain snows and warm temperature.47 deg.f in cross fork today.kettle creek looks beautiful.

Last edited:
W

Last edited:
C
Living in Erie Co. It is how I keep fly fishing year round.

Last edited:
wbranch
Being retired allows me to go up to Erie as often as there is a rain event.

Last edited:
ryguyfi
I didn't think there was an option for this. It's mandatory.

Last edited:
DaveKile
The Stream Reports have been an integral part of Paflyfish almost since the site began in 1995. There has been a lot of [d]disagreement[/d] conversation about the ideas of sharing stream information. The [d]differences[/d] dialog has been played out time and time again. Thought I would give a little of my perspective on what the Stream Reports are all about on this website.

mic.jpg
One interesting fact is that Stream Reports make up only 1.6% of all the traffic on the Paflyfish. More people spend time talking about cougar sightings in the OT Forum than stream reports. Well that is a bit of an exaggeration, but not that far from the truth.

Stream Reports are a way for anglers to share objective information about their recent fly-fishing experiences in the region. Details about water conditions, weather, stream, location, hatches, fishing successes, flies used and other pertinent information can make up a successful report. A photo or two showing the stream or hatches always improves the information. Here is an example of one of my trips to a little know place called Kettle Creek in 2010. One of the benefits of a report is the opportunity it presents for a discussion of new or unique experiences. A report does not have to be clinical as much as it should be informative and fun.

Fly-fishing is about having fun, right?

So why bother sharing? This site is built on the foundation of sharing information for the improvement for all of our fly fishing opportunities. On this website we discus gear, fly-tying, conservation, meet-ups, techniques and yes I dare say it...streams. The better we are informed the better experiences we all have fly-fishing. Not Sharing (NS) of information is as detrimental to anglers as inaccessible water.

I like traveling all over the region and stream reports offer a rich data-set of real-time information from those who are actually on the stream providing first-hand information. In combination with other water data from the USGS, I can make well-informed decisions about my trips.

Wish I had the time to drive back and forth to Potter County to learn about those conditions on a regular basis. Sadly the four-hour ride limits the convenience of such scouting trips and when I do go I like to have some sense of conditions before blowing thru about $50 in gas for drive up to just hang at the Lakeview with Rick watching golf. Not that there is anything wring with that.

In my early days of fly-fishing, pre-Internet, post-clay tablet era, I spent plenty of trips standing over high water and blown-out streams looking stupid with a can of Iron City in my hand. (Now I have a Miller Lite in my hand as to look less fat, can’t shake the stupid part.) So I would then pack up my cooler, break out my DeLorme Atlas throw a dart and haul on down Route 80 for my favorite game of “let’s find the stream that isn’t blown out.”

Stream Reports help me plan for my intended destinations, but also investigate streams that are on the way or nearby. A few years ago I was heading to Penns Creek for the Jam and wanted to catch a stream along the way up. Having never been to Clarks Creek I checked a report that was posted few days before to help get a take on hatches, water quality, and general stream info. Truly enjoyed the stop as I had the whole project to myself that morning.

pfbcmaps.jpg
Sure real-time is cool, but even more important is the historic value of all this data. Understanding where and when hatches are occurring on certain streams and regions is a great record for us all to enjoy. The reports today go back for over five years, covering many states and countless streams. This will only grow over time.

Hundreds of waterways in the region are stocked with millions of trout and promoted by state agencies for the public to enjoy. (BTW most state agencies provide free maps and websites showing the detailed locations of all the stocked streams if you are even in doubt of the mystery of these locations.) The more of these common streams we share in our reports the better we have a complete picture of our fly-fishing opportunities and spread this information out.

The PFBC has identified nearly 3,600 streams as naturally reproducing wild trout streams. Most of these streams and like waters are small with fragile ecosystems. While hearing reports on these streams is encouraged, named streams and detailed locations are not required. Simply identifying the county, date and experience really can offer enough for most any angler. The delight of these jewels is the discovery.

I don't always put in a stream report and there is not obligation for anyone to do the same. However, Stream reportss while a small part of the site do offer a lot of open information for all to share and improve their fly-fishing experiences. So go find a new location and have some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back