STOLEN GEAR

• Thread starter HighStickNympher47c
  • Start date
HighStickNympher47c

HighStickNympher47c

My buddy and I were parked at the SGL 295 parking lot off of Narrows Rd along Fishing Creek while we were fishing this past Saturday. Got back to his vehicle to find that someone had entered it while we were gone. They took off with my 10' Echo Carbon XL Euro Nymph rod with a gunmetal Allen Trout II on it AND a fully loaded camo Umpqua Overlook 500 chest pack kit. Chest pack has a C&F Fly Patch attached via magnets to the fly patch it came with on the top, all the tools hanging off of it were orange handled(nippers, hemocuts, fishpond PIOPOD), fully loaded tippet tender with SA tippet spools, three FULL fly boxes and my late grandfathers perrine box he handed me when I was 10. I just wanted to post it here to warn others that may be fishing that area to be vigilant with the gear they leave in their vehicles, and get the word out to folks in that area to keep an eye out and an ear open for someone with some fancy new gear they did not purchase. I've added photos of the gear below. Thank you for your time.
1 18 2020 Snow Trip
Missing Pack

Wow, that really stinks! There's two things in life (probably more) that I really despise, a liar and a thief!!! Sorry to hear of your loss. May karma catch up with the culprits.

Did you guys have the vehicle all locked up? Was the gear in plain sight if someone was looking in the windows? Anymore, I only take the gear I can afford to lose in case of a break-in. I fish some sketchy areas, and let's face it...thieves are opportunists. They figure you will be gone a while. At least they didn't take the catalytic converters over there.

Gutless, F'ing weasels whoever stole your gear.

Figure that few things compare to that heart dropping discovery.

I always fear this happening to me.
Have really started to Uber minimize gear I transport.
The "backup" rod I keep in vehicle is $20 WalMart Eagle Claw ( that I actually love) ..while I fish with my "gamer".

Backup reel in vehicle is aged Pflueger Medalist Fly Reel ( that I also really love).

If break in occurs, I would be pissed about the break in...upset for the loss, but not "broken".

I bet your gear is hurting without u, as well.

X2 on the karmic retribution for the bastards.
Sucks about your gear, especially about your grandfathers perrine box.

These posts have become all to common and along with what others have said, I only bring what I'm using for that day's outing.

Hoping you getting your gear back.

Check ebay / craigs list

It wouldn't hurt to file a police report, if you haven't already.

Did you guys have the vehicle all locked up? Was the gear in plain sight if someone was looking in the windows?

Another question....Does your vehicle have fishing stickers on it or something that identifies you as a fly fisher? Reason I ask is because I've thought about adding a license plate frame but then I would think that could make me more of a target. I'm assuming most FFer's are like me and have at least one rod/reel in the car left behind.

If you have stickers, I'm not saying it's your fault; I'm just curious.

Thats just a crappy thing ,and im sorry for your loss. What a bummer to come out of the river ,back to truck and walk into that....... start checking e bay as well as local “ craig list. Chances are the scumbag that did the break in isnt a fly fisher ,or outdoorsman ,this crosses the line of ethjcs to steal another mans gear..so they probably are breaking into trucks to resell things for money,a truck parked on water is an easy target figuring you are in the water wearing waders and wont hear them ,they will probably start hitting trucks parked along fishing spots ....cant hurt to let local authorities know of this. Again sorry for your loss
David

Did you guys have the vehicle all locked up? Was the gear in plain sight if someone was looking in the windows? Anymore, I only take the gear I can afford to lose in case of a break-in. I fish some sketchy areas, and let's face it...thieves are opportunists. They figure you will be gone a while. At least they didn't take the catalytic converters over there.
We take an annual camping/fishing trip, being that we were there for a weekend I had my small stream rig and my larger water rig along to cover whatever fishing situations the day presented. The Suburban was locked up when we left the parking lot, we are both vigilant about checking that as there is almost always something of value left there when we fish. The rod and reel were rigged up and in a rod rack that hangs above the passenger area of the Suburban, I used it on Penns the previous day and left it rigged in case we ended up bac there. The pack was laying directly behind the passenger side front seat. The vehicle was loaded with pretty much all of our camping gear and personal items. They left a **** ton of stuff behind!!

This is why I switched over to a hard tonneau cover and added a tailgate lock to my truck. I often fish Fishing Creek from below the narrows all the way down to the end at Bald Eagle. That chest pack isn't seen very often around here so I'll keep my eyes open. A few weeks ago I encountered a guy fishing who left his windows down and must have had 4 or 5 spinning rods in the vehicle. I ran into him on my hike up in and told him he forgot to put his windows up. He said he knew and if anyone wanted his gear that bad to have at it. Some people just seem to have no common sense. You can't trust anyone these days.

It wouldn't hurt to file a police report, if you haven't already.
I contacted the Mill Hall PD....they told me it's State Police jurisdiction......the State Police then tell me since we were parked on state game lands property that I'd need to file my report with the Game Commission. Thinking I may call the PFBC and let them know.....they may come upon someone in their travels in the area.

Another question....Does your vehicle have fishing stickers on it or something that identifies you as a fly fisher? Reason I ask is because I've thought about adding a license plate frame but then I would think that could make me more of a target. I'm assuming most FFer's are like me and have at least one rod/reel in the car left behind.

There are stickers on the back side windows....

Thats just a crappy thing ,and im sorry for your loss. What a bummer to come out of the river ,back to truck and walk into that....... start checking e bay as well as local “ craig list. Chances are the scumbag that did the break in isnt a fly fisher ,or outdoorsman ,this crosses the line of ethjcs to steal another mans gear..so they probably are breaking into trucks to resell things for money,a truck parked on water is an easy target figuring you are in the water wearing waders and wont hear them ,they will probably start hitting trucks parked along fishing spots ....cant hurt to let local authorities know of this. Again sorry for your loss
David
I've been wearing out my phone checking sale sites and auction pages.....

X2 on the karmic retribution for the bastards.
Sucks about your gear, especially about your grandfathers perrine box.

These posts have become all to common and along with what others have said, I only bring what I'm using for that day's outing.

Hoping you getting your gear back.

Check ebay / craigs list
I'd drain my bank account to get my Paps box back!! Unfortunately this was our annual weekend trip so that means I had two rods to cover whatever we passed that looked fishy.

I'm assuming most FFer's are like me and have at least one rod/reel in the car left behind.

I only bring the rod I'll be fishing with that day. So, not much to steal. They'd have to break a window to get into my Silverado anyhow. I do have a brown trout sticker on my back window. ;)

This is why I switched over to a hard tonneau cover and added a tailgate lock to my truck. I often fish Fishing Creek from below the narrows all the way down to the end at Bald Eagle. That chest pack isn't seen very often around here so I'll keep my eyes open. A few weeks ago I encountered a guy fishing who left his windows down and must have had 4 or 5 spinning rods in the vehicle. I ran into him on my hike up in and told him he forgot to put his windows up. He said he knew and if anyone wanted his gear that bad to have at it. Some people just seem to have no common sense. You can't trust anyone these days.
I sure appreciate that!!! I've had a few "locals" reach out to me via Facebook Messenger(I posted in a few groups there) extending the same offer. It seems there are still good folks around, this past time has brought quite a few of them into my life! I figured posting that photo and describing all the crap I had hanging off it would give someone out there an idea of what to look for.....I have NEVER encountered another fisherman wearing it myself! Common sense is about the least common thing anymore, sadly. This experience is telling me maybe I'm lacking a bit of it myself tho.

How did you not hear your car alarm going off ?

How did you not hear your car alarm going off ?
Not sure an older Suburban has one....also pretty sure they had to have used a slim jim or some other sort of lockout kit.

The vehicle was loaded with pretty much all of our camping gear and personal items. They left a **** ton of stuff behind!!

That sure sounds like they identified and targeted specific flyfishing gear that they could easily carry.

People that steal fishing gear are scumbags.

There are never guarantees but I have a few hard and steadfast rules:
  • NO fishing stickers (NRA or Sig stickers are optional ;) )
  • NO fancy vehicles
  • NOTHING visible in the passenger compartment
  • NO leaving the rear of my SUV open when suiting up, allowing someone to see what's in there
Even with these precautions there are a few places I won't park at because it is obvious to anyone the only person parking there must be fishing and I am paranoid.

That being said, if you have cell service there are aftermarket car alarms that will send an alert to your phone in which case the Sig may come in handy...

Back