st croix rods: how does the attached ferrule wax work?

k-bob

k-bob

I have a few st croix rods with attached small containers of ferrule wax... the rods are great but I havent used the wax, what does it do? I just bought a new 6'6" imperial, is it better to use this ferrule wax when the rod is new? thanks ....

prevents locking by providing a light layer of softer material between the male and female ends. It should be a light coating. Do not over wax. I use it on all my rods. I remove it and reapply 1-2 a year a year.
I read people use candle wax too. Not bees wax or crayons. They are too soft.

thanks ... I havent had rod sections lock up too many times. And my st croix rods are 6'6"-7"6" models for brookie fishing, usually with hikes in carrying disassembled rod sections, on which wax might catch damaging grit. Sounds like a 'your mileage may vary' thing, but for my use, I think I will continue to go without.

If your rod is broken down and in a rod sock and tube during the hikes the wax shouldn't pickup any dirt.

KeithS wrote:
If your rod is broken down and in a rod sock and tube during the hikes the wax shouldn't pickup any dirt.

True. But a lot of times I wouldn’t want to carry a rod tube with me when hiking/Brookie fishing. If it’s a pack a lunch, all day away from the car type of stream, I often carry a full size backpack, and then I guess I wouldn’t mind toting around the tube. But if it’s a stream where I might be on it for a half day, or less, I usually just take a sling pack and carrying around the rod tube would be a PITA. Yeah, you could stash it somewhere when you get to the stream and pick it up on your way out, but a lot of times my entry point and exit point on a stream aren’t the same location.

This thread reminds me that I have over 30 of these pucks sitting around and I never use them. I jusually ust rub the outside if my nose or just behind my ear when needed. If there's an event coming up and they can all be handed out to everyone, please send me a PM. I do not need them.

I sometimes hike in with 4 pc rods in a sock. When I am ready to fish, I just put the sock in my vest. I guess the wax might make more sense for 4 pc rods, because the ferrule would have less exposure.

I try to avoid 2 pc rods for small streams, but there a few 2 pc rods I like, so I live with the build. These 2pc rods are too long in broken down format to carry hanging down at my side in a sock. Their ferrules are more exposed, since I just I hike with the broken down rod sections in a horizontal orientation.

i also just do the nose thing, and am a big fan of st.croix rds.
and i too have a bunch of those wax dealies laing around.

Makes me wonder why all rods don't come with a little tin of wax.

It is mostly ball bearings and miracles

Back