Something a little wild in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild Trout Streams are a secret treasure for many fly fisherman in Pennsylvania. Many anglers hold a certain reverence for the quiet and often secluded opportunity they provide. With over 500 wild trout streams and well over 1,000 miles of water these hidden gems are a different kind of stream for fly-fishing. Some of these streams are unnamed or are tributaries of lesser waters. Rarely mentioned by name or found on many maps, this intimate experience also comes with greater stewardship and responsibility for those that take on these waters.

wildstream.jpg
The fly fishing experience in these backwoods areas are often regarded as one of self reliance and stealth. These small streams can provide a surprising opportunity to explore and uncover trout in a more wilderness environment. Much of the experience is not only finding these streams, but then learning the secrets of what makes these wild trout so illusive.

The Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) defines Class A Wild Trout Streams as: "Streams that support a population of naturally produced trout of sufficient size and abundance to support a long‐term and rewarding sport fishery." The PFBC’s manages these stream sections for the the growth of the wild trout fishery with natural reproduction and no stocking. These streams can hold brook trout, brown trout or both species.

The PFBC is considering changes to its list of Class A Wild Trout Streams. At the next Commission meeting on April 19 and 20, 2010, the Commission will consider changes to its list of wild trout streams. Specifically, the Commission will consider the addition of over 80 new streams or changes to current watts of streams to the list.

So if you want to get a little wild try something new, it may be in your backyard.

S
I agree, scottrum. I enjoy those streams where the terrain is too rough or remote for others to venture off to. I do enjoy the untouched outdoors and the solitude that goes with it. I also enjoy the challenge involved in 'sneaking-up' on and enticing a wild trout. Having them 'not named' seems a little harsh, but allowing no harvest or little harvest would definitely deter most, if not all, 'less serious' sportsman. Heck, I'm almost positive that the 'less serious' sportsman wouldn't have the skill to catch these wild trout! Also, I don't even think that the stream I fish the most is even managed by the PBFC (it's seen some AMD in the far past, but's nearly pristine now).

Last edited:
S
I agree, scottrum. I enjoy those streams where the terrain is too rough or remote for others to venture off to. I do enjoy the untouched outdoors and the solitude that goes with it. I also enjoy the challenge involved in 'sneaking-up' on and enticing a wild trout. Having them 'not named' seems a little harsh, but allowing no harvest or little harvest would definitely deter most, if not all, 'less serious' sportsman. Heck, I'm almost positive that the 'less serious' sportsman wouldn't have the skill to catch these wild trout! Also, I don't even think that the stream I fish the most is even managed by the PBFC (it's seen some AMD in the far past, but's nearly pristine now).

Last edited:
B
Absolutly. I am headed out to some wild places this weekend to catch some wild fish...One reason I do it...No one is out there.

Last edited:
B
Absolutly. I am headed out to some wild places this weekend to catch some wild fish...One reason I do it...No one is out there.

Last edited:
B

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back