Snakeheads in Philly area

S

Striperbobby

Is anyone willing to give specific names of bodies of water in the Philadelphia area where snakeheads are prevalent? Looking for a little more info than just “anywhere in Delaware River or creeks connected to it”

Meadow Lake and surrounding linked waters in Philly’s FDR Park.
Darby Creek in John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge. Call to see where you may fish for the species and what other waters on site may be open to fishing and harbor good snakehead numbers.
The fact is that it is accurate that any tidal area of any of the medium to larger tribs can be good.

I hope you will kill the ones you catch not release
I am a catch and release guy but I do keep snakeheads because they are absolutely one of the best eating fish I have ever had. I put them right up there with red fish and striped bass as table fair! They aren’t the best fighters but their top water bites are insane. I had one launch itself out of the water like a missle and take my popper on the way down. Cool looking critters too! I’ve been traveling to dorchester county in md and with gas prices I was hoping to find some new spots closer to Chester county pa.

Now you done it. No poking the bear.

I believe it's illegal to release them back into the water in Pa.

I believe it's illegal to release them back into the water in Pa.
It is not illegal to release live snakeheads back in PA waters where they were caught. It is recommended by the PFBC they be dispatched and taken home or disposed of properly. It is illegal to remove and be in possession of live snakeheads. That rule came to be because some "anglers" removed them and stocked them in other waters (believe it or not!:rolleyes:).

Snake heads are invasive and destroy the eco system, I release all my bass since there isn’t many where is fish
Fake news! Hahaha! They are now a part of many watersheds and they aren’t going anywhere. I catch more bass accidentally when fishing for snakeheads than snakeheads. People feel the same way about striped bass on the west coast. Everyone needs to stop hating and do more fishing!

Just to be a cranky old man, largemouth and smallmouth bass aren't native to the Delaware drainage either but no one calls them invasive species.

Fake news! Hahaha! They are now a part of many watersheds and they aren’t going anywhere. I catch more bass accidentally when fishing for snakeheads than snakeheads. People feel the same way about striped bass on the west coast. Everyone needs to stop hating and do more fishing!
I'd rather kill the invasive species before they can ruin some of my local fisheries.

Brown trout aren't native to the U.S. and rainbows aren't native to Pa.And I thought it was illeagal to introduce non native species into any water in Pa without permission from the PFBC.Any input on this Mike.

When non native fish are introduced and then spread to other waterways,and displace native fish,I would consider that invasive.I've seen over the past 40+ years I've been trout fishing many brook trout streams overrun by brownies.On some of these streams I haven't caught a brookie in years.I practice C&R always which rubs me the wrong way when it comes to browns and bows.Kind of a Catch22,I want to take a rock to their heads,but I just can't do it.

Yep and here we are

Attachments

• 3ABCE6CC-13AE-4032-825A-72319F728861.jpeg
    3ABCE6CC-13AE-4032-825A-72319F728861.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 31
Back