Smallie Chasers.

Here's a link to a thread in the Fly Tying forum on Smallie flies;Bass Flies

JH

I'm here. I'm a smallie flyfisherman. I'm so into smallies on the fly that I see trout season as an interlude between steelhead and smallmouth.

I have not given up the spinning gear. Far from it. When the river gets ideal, I go to the flyrod. Until that time, I use spinning gear. When I float fish, I use spinning gear.

Where are you located? If you are in the Southern or Southeastern part of PA, you'll have lots of help and company. Up here in the Great North West, I'm one of only a very, very few fly anglers to ply the waters of the Allegheny, French Creek and Oil Creek.

If you're anything like me, you'll like tying bass flies more than trout flies.

Enjoy.
Syl

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. I have been fishing for Smallies my whole life. At the end of last year I decided to give in into the urge to give flyfishing a try. I bought myself a St. Croix 9 ft. 6wt outfit. I have never fly fished before and I dont know anybody else that fly fishes. I know where the smallies are so locating them isn't a problem. I dont have any problems catching them with my spinning gear. I have yet to land my first smallie with the long rod. I must admit I havent used it as much as I should and the main reason is out of frustration of not knowing if I am presenting the fly properly. I am located in SW PA and any tips or pointers you guys could give me would be much appreciated!

Fishin4,
Welcome to the forum. If you love smallies (which is obvious) I would suggest that you continue to fish for 'em in whatever manner you enjoy. Exploring FFing will add a fascinating new dimension to your passion, esp if you take up fly tying (I have developed a whole new appreciation for crayfish, madtoms, white flies, and hellgramites). In the meantime, continue to take your spinning gear with you. Eventually, when you hit it right, break out the fly rod and you will get bit. Practice casting the fly rod on the lawn at home. The biggest problem new FFers have is accurate and effective casting. Don't fall in to the trap of thinking, "Now I'm a FFer, so anything I catch on spin gear, doesn't count." This is nonsense. Continue to post here, esp if you have specific questions. Good luck.

F4SM,

Think of it this way, your already halfway there since you know how to locate and fish for SMs. As FI said, finding the right conditions will make a big difference. FF shines in lower flows and more ideal (for the fish) water temps. When fish are holding deep and sluggish like in extremely cold or extremely warm water, spinning is a better and easier way to catch fish. When the fish are active and chasing you will find it hard to keep the fish off your wooly bugger or popper on top. A WB can’t be fished wrong – dead drift, swinging in the current, or stripped. Try all methods just to find out what the fish want that day. If they are really active and are chasing and looking up, fishing a popper or slider on the surface is some of the most fun you will ever have FF. I’m getting excited just thinking about it. Hang in there, practice casting as FI said, and the time will come…maybe sooner than we think with the 80+ degree days in the forecast. Good luck.

Well the steelheads are mostly gone and the smallmouth are coming up the creeks, by may there should be alot in the creeks and if you try any flies that matches mudbugs you should have a ball. I saw some nice size smallies in elk creek today

From Clarks Ferry bridge down to TMI probably some of the best in the world, some of the best fishermen too.

i enjoy getting into the pittsburgh metropolitan area with my 8wt tearin bass a new one and nobody is ever around.....we get strange looks walking into creeks with fly rods where most people would never dare to go!

thebassman wrote:
I was wondering how many of you guys chase smallies on the fly. This is something that I am getting into like crazy. I am trying to step away from the spinning gear and go to flies only. I am also trying to tie some of my own up. I visit riversmallies.com alot, but found this site while trying to get info on fly fishing here in PA.

Love to fish for smallmouth on a fly rod. Smallmouth and rockbass are a hoot on a fly rod.

My Brother got me hooked. Him and his friend hit the river all of the time. The smallies are hitting really strong in the Susquehanna river in NEPA. They also are catching walleye and even a channel cat. Guess there hitting on huge 6" flies they are tying. They promised to take me out soon. Can't wait!

Smallies on a fly rod is the next best thing to Trout or Steelies that's readily available in this part of PA.

Back