Small spring creek fishing

HopBack

HopBack

Had the day off today and thought about traveling to central PA but elected for a more leisurely day at a local spring creek.

I arrived around 9am and immediately got into a pod of riding fish. I was able lans 2 on a black ant before the surface action shut down totally. Olives and sulphurs were very sporadic throughout the day and all of my other fish were landed on a PT dropper. I tied sulphur, caddis and olive dries but nothing received action like the pheasant tail.

All in all it was a great day even though the dry fly action was non existent. Many healthy wild brown trout were brought to hand.

IMG 2480
IMG 2482
IMG 2483
IMG 2485
IMG 2486
IMG 2488
IMG 2489

I loved my time on Cedar Creek or Trout Run in the Lehigh Valley. (Unfortunately, Trout Run suffered A LOT from urban run-off, so it didn't have hardly any bugs besides midges and scuds) I was alone, fishing with a 8 ft 4 wt for 7-9" wild browns that didn't have hook marks in their jaw. It's a 5 hour drive from here to there across central PA, but I DO miss those small limestone creeks situated in a park environment.

I loved my time on Cedar Creek or Trout Run in the Lehigh Valley. (Unfortunately, Trout Run suffered A LOT from urban run-off, so it didn't have hardly any bugs besides midges and scuds) I was alone, fishing with a 8 ft 4 wt for 7-9" wild browns that didn't have hook marks in their jaw. It's a 5 hour drive from here to there across central PA, but I DO miss those small limestone creeks situated in a park environment.
I know them well as I used to live in the Lehigh valley. Unfortunately at the time I did not fly fish and was unaware of wild trout so I didn’t get to enjoy them.

There's a lot of strategy and tactics to fishing streams like that. You have to have a plan and execute it flawlessly, because you're often only provided the first cast. IMO, streams like that make you a better angler because you have to think the whole process through!

IMG 7102

IMG E7101

IMG E7111

Back