Small spring creek fishing

HopBack

Had the day off today and thought about traveling to central PA but elected for a more leisurely day at a local spring creek.

I arrived around 9am and immediately got into a pod of riding fish. I was able lans 2 on a black ant before the surface action shut down totally. Olives and sulphurs were very sporadic throughout the day and all of my other fish were landed on a PT dropper. I tied sulphur, caddis and olive dries but nothing received action like the pheasant tail.

All in all it was a great day even though the dry fly action was non existent. Many healthy wild brown trout were brought to hand.

IMG_2480.jpeg
IMG_2482.jpeg
IMG_2483.jpeg
IMG_2485.jpeg
IMG_2486.jpeg
IMG_2488.jpeg
IMG_2489.jpeg

I loved my time on Cedar Creek or Trout Run in the Lehigh Valley. (Unfortunately, Trout Run suffered A LOT from urban run-off, so it didn't have hardly any bugs besides midges and scuds) I was alone, fishing with a 8 ft 4 wt for 7-9" wild browns that didn't have hook marks in their jaw. It's a 5 hour drive from here to there across central PA, but I DO miss those small limestone creeks situated in a park environment.

I loved my time on Cedar Creek or Trout Run in the Lehigh Valley. (Unfortunately, Trout Run suffered A LOT from urban run-off, so it didn't have hardly any bugs besides midges and scuds) I was alone, fishing with a 8 ft 4 wt for 7-9" wild browns that didn't have hook marks in their jaw. It's a 5 hour drive from here to there across central PA, but I DO miss those small limestone creeks situated in a park environment.
I know them well as I used to live in the Lehigh valley. Unfortunately at the time I did not fly fish and was unaware of wild trout so I didn’t get to enjoy them.

There's a lot of strategy and tactics to fishing streams like that. You have to have a plan and execute it flawlessly, because you're often only provided the first cast. IMO, streams like that make you a better angler because you have to think the whole process through!

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_E7101.JPG

IMG_E7111.JPG

Back