Scott A4 or Orvis Access

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

Hey guys/ladies,

I'm in the market for a new rod and these two rods are in my price range. I plan to cast both of them but wanted to see what opinions were out there. I'm either gonna get a 4wt or a 5wt. Definately looking for versatility sz 22 midges to the occasional flip of an articulated streamer on a spring creek.

Thanks

I don't own either one but if forced to choose I would buy the Scott A4.

I have a access 10' 4 wt and I love it...it was alittle fast for me in the beginning but increase I got use to it no problems

I would get the A4. I've never fished an A4 or an access, but I really enjoy my A3s. I have two A3s, a 9' 5 wt and 10' 7 wt. I use these two rods more than any other rods I own. I can also vouch for the warranty serivice of both companies. Both A3s have been serviced for broken sections. Scott was great! I broke the 7wt durring the peak of spring steelhead season, I told them I needed it repaired as fast as possible so I wouldn't completely miss the spring run and they turned it around in 2 weeks! Orvis does a good job with warranty service too.

I have never fished the Access, but I purchased an A4 5 wt last year. I think it's quite versatile and have used it for small and large dries, nymphing, and (smallerish) streamers. I have found it to be effective for all. I would definitely recommend it.

I like the feel and look of the access and I'll be purchasing one in the next couple weeks. My 2 Cents

I have been fishing with a Scott E2, 10', 4 wt. since 2007. Overall, best rod I've ever used. It is rated as a fast action but I consider it medium-fast. I do a lot of nymphing (both high stick or Czech and indicator) with this rod but I've found no problems in casting dries and streamers. I also do a lot of midge fishing with this rod using fine tippet and have never felt the fast action as an issue. I modify my leaders (sighters and regular leaders) to the type of fishing I'm doing. My only issue was that I purchased an over-size reel reel (Lamson) to get good balance.

Dale

I own Scott rods and am very happy with them. 2cents

Like the Scott. i have the earlier generation in a 5 and it is unbelievable. Having said that, hard to go wrong with Orvis.

Def the scott!

I wouldn't buy either without casting both and seeing what you liked.

I'd go with the access. A lot of people I know are fishing them now and love them. Plus, Scott is so stingy anymore with their warranty - it is sickening. They offered lifetime replace/repair years ago but now changed their policy. I have over $75 in returning a Scott defected rod. After I pay $700 for it, I don't expect to have to shell out $75 to have it repaired. I'm done with Scott one that experience alone. Orvis problems are taken care ASAP and most times you just have the ~$15 to ship them back, at most...

Orvis for the better customer service but Scott for the rod that higher rated. Cast both and see what you think.

*insert plug for St Croix rods.

I've cast just about all of them
from Access to A4 to Sage Response. All worthy rods. Still trying to decide what action I like best between Mod. Fast and Fast.
Also had the opportunity to cast the new Helios 2 and Sage One, what a treat!!
Both rods spoiled me with the effortless casts, just not sure either are in my budget.
I am surprised to hear the woes of Scott's customer service. I had always heard great things until now.

I've returned a Scott and it was a good experience. Not the cheapest but pretty quick turn around time IMO. I'm not sure that a super fast 3wt is a good thing though. How often do you pitch a #26 trico 60'? I've got a sage from 1984 and I've tossed tiny stuff up tp #2 sculpins with it. Get what feels the best to you. Mote expensive doesn't necessarily mean better performance.

I've sent rods in to Orvis and Scott. I've only had issues with Orvis. They are better with their rods than they are with anything else they sell, especially dog beds.
I've casted a few of the A4's. They are similar to the S3's.
They aren't very fast at all, at least the trout weights.

when i was looking to buy my 10' 4 wt it was between these two..the access was lighter so that was one of the many reason why i picked that one

I never said Scott wasn't a quick turnaround. My point was that they charge $50 plus shipping. With Orvis - I pay nothing when I break a rod. End of story.

Scott performance - yes, they are great rods in my experience. I won't take that away from them at all. I do like the Orvis product as well, especially the Helios.

Again, it really depends on what type of fishing you are doing, etc.

As has been stated, you can't go wrong with either rod. What is important is what fits you and your fishing style the best. I have several Orvis rods, not an Access, but I do have its predecessor the TLS and have been more than pleased with its quality and performance and their customer service is outstanding.

I use the Orvis Clearwaters all the time. Love their warrenty as well...Have broke off the tip twice and they replaced the complete setups. Only changed for shipping and handling.

Back