(Schuylkill/Columbia) Little Catawissa Creek, South Branch Roaring Creek, or...?

WeekendNacho

WeekendNacho

Trying to eye up some wild trout opportunities close to home that I can fish now. I'm familiar with South Branch Roaring Creek, as I used to frequent the reservoirs it feeds but have never fished either the reservoirs or the creek. It's listed as naturally reproducing. Not too far from Roaring Creek is the Little Catawissa Creek, between Aristes and Ringtown. The upper section of it is listed as Class A. Curious if anyone had any experiences on these creeks? I'm leaning towards the Little Catawissa, but unsure on its size, and foliage. Not opposed to it being more or less a blue line, but not sure if I feel like fighting with a lot of rhododendron. Open to hearing about any other nearby recommendations.

EDIT: Tumbling Run outside of Pottsville is also a contender. Saw an old forum on it that debated the legality of fishing it, someone updated and said that is likely is legal to fish but definitely open to hearing more info.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
I heard there were postings/purple tree goo on headwaters of Catawissa recently. Have not verified personally though. Think your talking about a different stretch though. Is roaring above those lakes not far from mt carmel?

I heard there were postings/purple tree goo on headwaters of Catawissa recently. Have not verified personally though.
Thanks for the heads up, if I do go I'll try to confirm. The specific section I'm looking at is in State Gamelands near Aristes Ringtown Rd, so I'd like to think that area wouldn't be posted but who knows anymore.

Where do you live exactly? Cold run is your best option out of all of them for the area you are describing.

Where do you live exactly? Cold run is your best option out of all of them for the area you are describing.
I'm down in Pine Grove but don't mind a little drive, just trying to find a new to me stream. Are you mentioning the Cold Run that is next to Tumbling Run outside of Pottsville? How is access? Just looking at a map, my gut says best access would be where it meets Beaver Creek, but lmk what you think.

I'm down in Pine Grove but don't mind a little drive, just trying to find a new to me stream. Are you mentioning the Cold Run that is next to Tumbling Run outside of Pottsville? How is access? Just looking at a map, my gut says best access would be where it meets Beaver Creek, but lmk what you think.
You are allowed to fish most of it except the lower section. You will see the posts signs and rope across the creek. You can park where beaver meets cold run. There is better habitat up and downstream of that area.

If the gate is open for the state gamelands, you can travel the service road and it follows the upper portion of the creek pretty closely.

You are allowed to fish most of it except the lower section. You will see the posts signs and rope across the creek. You can park where beaver meets cold run. There is better habitat up and downstream of that area.

If the gate is open for the state gamelands, you can travel the service road and it follows the upper portion of the creek pretty closely.
Perfect info, thank you!

Back