Rubber Legs

salmo

salmo

I noticed that Amazon sells bass lure "skirts." Are they about the same size as Wapsi or Hareline products and do they act about the same?

I've used the strands of a spinnerbait skirt for legs on #10+ flies, if that helps.
They are a bit stiffer than some of the leg material that I've purchased specifically for flies, but it works well enough.

I've used the strands of a spinnerbait skirt for legs on #10+ flies, if that helps.
They are a bit stiffer than some of the leg material that I've purchased specifically for flies, but it works well enough.
Same I had a couple old topwater frogs from back when i was still spinfishing, I pulled the rubber strand legs out and used them as on stonefly rubber legs.

I was actually thinking about flies in the 12-16 sizes.

I was actually thinking about flies in the 12-16 sizes.
They will look huge. Even most silicon rubber legs sold as tying material will look big. You want to look for leg material marketed as "micro" or "fine" if you are going to put them the sizes you listed. If you like the sexi-floss style of spandex leg material (like on a pat's rubber leg stones) Fly Tyers Dungeon has it in a staggering array of sizes, including as small as you could ever want.

I tend to use the FTD material these days just because I can match the size to my fly and get a proportional look that I want.

Thanks. Has anyone used flash material for legs?

Thanks. Has anyone used flash material for legs?
They will give you a very different look. I often use midge size krystal flash, not so much to represent legs, but add a little flash to the sides of nymphs. Just a couple pieces trimmed short on each side is usually enough. I love this combined with a cdc soft hackle collar on a fly. It's a great alternative to a flashy wing case.

I have used crystal flash in black when tying ants

The bass lure skirts are spinner bait skirts. The material that makes the skirt are called "silicone skirt layers" They're sold in fly shops as "Sili Legs". They might work for a size 12 fly, but they're probably too wide for anything smaller. I use them for legs on my frog patterns, poppers and sliders. I also use them in some other bass bugs I tie.

Back