Rod Blanks

J

JeffP

I am looking for a 8'6" 2-piece blank that is moderately fast. I had a rod built that broke within a year and I want to see if I can save the components which were relatively expensive. I am looking in the $200 range. I may build this one on my own. I have built before, mostly on St. Croix blanks, but I don't believe their blanks are available. Any advice on both the rod and saving the rod components? Thanks!

North fork composite offer 8’6” 2 pc blanks . I have built on a few of there blanks and the are top quality . They are on sale at the moment some are between $75.00-80.00 which is a great deal for an American made blank.

They are excellent blanks and excellent fly rods. I have a 8 1/2 4wt.

I am looking for a 8'6" 2-piece blank that is moderately fast. I had a rod built that broke within a year and I want to see if I can save the components which were relatively expensive. I am looking in the $200 range. I may build this one on my own. I have built before, mostly on St. Croix blanks, but I don't believe their blanks are available. Any advice on both the rod and saving the rod components? Thanks!
What line weight are you wanting?
I have made 5 NFC rods on their "classic" series and like the 8.5' and 9' 4 wts and the 9' 5wt best. These are the "moderate" action ones. I have not built on the "fast" action blanks. Some folks imply that these classic series are very similar to the old G Loomis IMX/GLX rods. I like these blanks as much as the big name blanks I have built on.

Thanks for the advice! I will check those out! I was thinking 5 weight.

Thanks for the advice! I will check those out! I was thinking 5 weight.
Their website is a bit tough to negotiate. Do you go directly to their website of go to a dealer? I saw the 8'6" in their catalog but not on the sale list unless I missed it.

I order directly from their website. Click on the fly section then scroll down the classics are at the bottom of the listing . Just looked and the 2pc are under $80.00 . I have built a few of the lmx fast action they are fast and I prefer them with a line wt heaver than recommend.

I would build it on a pac bay blank.

Pac Bay Tradition II Fly Blanks, Two Piece 8'6" 5wt

Mud Hole in Florida. GG

I have had good luck with NFC blanks and they are on sale now. I built an LMX 6 wt for bonefish and it casts as far as my 8 wts - it is a fast rod. Their classics are nice. Also, they have guide kits on 40% off sale now.

The St Croix blanks are available at Rod Geeks https://rodgeeks.com/ but they seem to be out of everything now and only have 4 pc fly rod blanks.

Their website is a bit tough to negotiate. Do you go directly to their website of go to a dealer? I saw the 8'6" in their catalog but not on the sale list unless I missed it.
I go thru the website - here is the fly rod blank link https://northforkcomposites.com/fly-rod-blanks/

Looks like they only have 4 wt in 8.5' https://northforkcomposites.com/product/f-864-2-im/

If you want a 5 wt they have the classic moderate action in 2 pc https://northforkcomposites.com/product/f-905-2-im/

and a classic 4 pc in both moderate and fast action.

The LMX FAF blanks are faster action rods and you can read reviews of them on the north american fly fish forum.

Any advice on both the rod and saving the rod components? Thanks!
First, before we go too far, is your broken rod repairable?

If not - The guides are easy - just use a razor blade or sharp knife to cut off the thread wraps - usually I cut on top of the guide feet. The tip top will come off with a little heat but might not fit the new blank.

Regarding the cork and reel seat - You might want to ask these kind of questions on the rodbuilding dot org website - a lot of experienced guys on there.

Hook and hackle. Great guys and will walk you through it.

Thanks for all the great advice! I will let you know what I decide.
First, before we go too far, is your broken rod repairable?

If not - The guides are easy - just use a razor blade or sharp knife to cut off the thread wraps - usually I cut on top of the guide feet. The tip top will come off with a little heat but might not fit the new blank.

Regarding the cork and reel seat - You might want to ask these kind of questions on the rodbuilding dot org website - a lot of experienced guys on there.
It's not repairable. Its badly spit at the ferrule. I was going to have the local guy who built it, see if he could salvage the cork and reel seat.

I would build it on a pac bay blank.

Pac Bay Tradition II Fly Blanks, Two Piece 8'6" 5wt
I did build on a Pac Pay Traditions. It was a moderate action 3 weight. It was just a little slow for my tastes. I see they make them faster. My biggest complete is that I fish buggers a decent amount on small streams and the action on my buggers is more a "swim" than a dart. Also, on small, brushy streams its tough to rip your fly out of the branches. I love the color and it is great for dries on small meadow stream.

Back