Quick Leader/tippet question

M

mre3810

At what length does a leader/tippet become to short ?

For the full leader, except on small streams, 7 foot is the shortest. The tippet section should be about 1/4 of the leader length, I think, but at least 16 inches in most cases. Take a look at some standard leader formulas by searching google for "leader formulas."

What is the prefered length ?

Generally I keep mine around 9 feet with a two foot tippet section. Recently, with the clear and low water it's more like 12 feet and the tippet section.

mre3810 wrote:

I agree that 9 foot is a good length, but, this depends upon your casting ability. If you are just starting out, you may find 9 feet a little long to cast well. It took me a good while to cast 9 feet of leader, but now that my casting has improved somewhat, I will occasionally throw up to maybe 11 feet. My son is getting better, but anything over 8 feet causes him problems.

Good point Jack. My son is the same his leader is usually shorter around 7 feet. I usually don't taper his leader. What are your thoughts on that?

One other consideration - the size of the stream.
On larger waters, I usually use a 10-12 foot leader.
But, I never use one that large on a native steam. I'm talking about small,very brushy water that you can jump over in most spots. I use a 5- 7 foot leader here - a 12 footer would be a real hassle IMO

Past couple of weeks, I've been using 3-4 ft of tippet on a 3ft furled leader for fishing several small streams. Never fished with a leader that short before. I have been turning over bushy size 12s with a 3wt without a problem. Catching tons of fish, too.

It all depends on the situation....if your having problems turning over or getting caught in the bushes, go shorter. If you are spooking fish or fishing a pressured stream, go longer.

I agree with OHIO on this one. I tie all of my own leaders and go from 6ft leaders to 12ft leaders. It all depends on what you are doing that day. As for leaders getting to short; barring some total F'up on my part they can last a year. I always have several of the same size tied and repair them as needed.

I usually fish with a 9' leaders most of the time with a 18-24" tippet, but there are exceptions. I now fish streamers with an 3' leader of 8lb test, no tippet. So I guess it depends on the situation that you are fishing and how you are fishing.
JH

Back