Post your best steelhead tip!

T

TroutBuster

Thought everyone might be in the mood to talk about some steelhead fishing. So post your best tip/trick/tactic!

Mine is probably to change the color of your egg/sucker spawn (if thats what you're using) often until you find just the color they want. The slightest change in color can pay off big in terms of hookups.

Learn how to hit them in the nose with your offering under any circumstance. The cooler the water, the less likely they are to make much effort to chase your offering down. Learn this and your hook-ups will increase dramatically. I did not say it was easy :)

Edit: It just dawned on me where my comment (with some divine help) would likely go on a well known steelhead forum. And, I did not say floss them, snag them, or other wise...there is a difference and that garbage is not sporting. Thanks in advance for not going there. If you do...just maybe it's your problem :p

Go when you can go and not when someone tells you there will be crowds or not. When the fish takes off...let them... When he jumps...bow to the fish. And if they don't want to eat it..hit them on the head with it...

Don't leave fish to find fish, but don't fish where there aren't fish. Finally, you never know where you might find fish. :cool:

Find the crowds of people...thats where the fish are!

Now for the real answer...
Fish in the riffles will take more readily than fish resting in pools. And they won't have crowds of people working them. They are harder to spot, but easier to hook.

JackM wrote:
Don't leave fish to find fish, but don't fish where there aren't fish. Finally, you never know where you might find fish. :cool:

I think that explains the half empty (half full?) bottle of Jim Beam :-D

Work at getting the correct weight on to have the fly down where the fish are...and never say never ( fished a god awful pink cactus chennile fly with a pink bead head-called it psycho barbie...one day it was a ticket for multiple hook ups)...

when it runs chase it

Don't forget to yell fish on. As a corrollary to the above-- if it's snagged, break it.

Make sure you use side pressure to fish your fish, Keep the rod parallel to the water. Change direction from up stream to down stream to tire out your fish more quickly.
Join the PA Steelhead Association and help out by donating to the fruit basket program.
PA Steelhead Association
www.pasteelhead.com

If you make a meeting, the experience within the room far exceeded's any forum site.

Since fishing over faster water/ fish you can't see has already been mentioned...

The fish are always a couple miles farther up the creeks than the hordes of anglers think. Maybe not the huge numbers of fish that are lower in the creek, but usually less pressured and easier to catch. It balances out. So don't ridicule the handful of guys fishing high on the creeks as you drive buy in October.

Kev

When it's "Blown Out" fish the bank. You'll be suprised! If you run beads use a fly instead of a bare hook(one fly/hook rule in NY). Some say that's flossing but your really doing less damage to the fish and they work really well!! And they actually bite it.
When it's warm and low fish the riffs. Cold, fish the pools.
The previously mentioned Side Pressure is VERY important!!. To the side and up and repeat to the net. Keep them off balance so they can't dig in.
Upstream runs are good, down stream runs not so much.....loosen drag crank and run!

David wrote
Now for the real answer... Fish in the riffles will take more readily than fish resting in pools. And they won't have crowds of people working them. They are harder to spot, but easier to hook.

Amen!

I would add, fish when the water is rising or falling and try to catch the magical times when the fish can see your fly but not see you...

Not all steelhead want caviar. Throw them some meat. You can cover a lot more water this way too.

Dont site fish, and fish any hole that holds color! Put the fish on the reel! Dont wade straight into the water w/o fishing the water close to you! If your not losing flies your not going to catch fish! Use side pressure when fighting a fish!

David wrote:
Now for the real answer...
Fish in the riffles will take more readily than fish resting in pools. And they won't have crowds of people working them. They are harder to spot, but easier to hook.

This is the best tip in my opinion. Wear polarized glasses, even if it's snowing, and try to spot the fish in the fast water. That's where they're active and that's where they'll feed. You have to remember that these fish are moving long distances. They are resting in the pools and moving in the fast water. Don't be afraid to put on a few spinning tackle split shot and get your fly down to the fish. Fast water = fast action!

Few more weeks, can't wait!

Ryan

Fish where everyone else overlooks. Above or below major pools esp. alot of fish will move out of the highly pressured holes and begin feeding again.

Also get your fly on the bottom!!!!

Don't get intimidated , fish just like you were fishing your favorite home water , use the same tactics you'd use on any other stream , the only exception i can think of is skip the dry flies for the most part , although they CAN be caught on dry flies if you persist. One more thing , avoid the full contact areas , the crowds/masses AND no fish will only bum you out. Find a lil water and fish just like you would at home (on the bottom). You'll get 'em.

Fishing with Jigs in low clear water during the early season can prove to be one of the most deadly tactics ever. If they are in the mood, a 1/32 oz jig head tied with about 10 strands of flashabou, preferrably the mirage style, is killer! When the fish are podded up and in puddles is the best to target them and when they are stressed out. I have better luck when the fish are in a frenzy jigging then when they are just sitting there.

Back