Poe Paddy this weekend.

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

My wife & I are planning on heading up to camp at Poe Paddy this weekend and just noticed that there is also a PSU football game. I've been at Penn-Roosevelt on game nights before and it ended up getting pretty loud and obnoxious. Will the same occur at Poe Paddy or is it far enough back that people tend to leave it be?

Also, how's the fishing? According to TCO and Feathered Hook it's fishing nice. Anyone hit it up recently?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,
The PSU game won't affect you back there, enjoy the solitude.
Good luck fishing too.
John

Awesome! Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I envy you! Went up at least once on a football weekend and it was not a problem. Daughter's soccer games and busy school year prevents me from getting up there in September. No better time to head up to Penn's. Poe Paddy in the fall is magic! I will probably be up in October. Water levels look great. They must have gotten all the rain we missed in Hershey!

How did it go? I think i might go this Saturday and park near Cherry Run and fish near there...

The flows are pretty low right now, at 100 cfs.

A friend and I fished Penns this past Saturday, in the C&R area. The water temps were fine, 64F for the max.

But it was low and clear, which makes the fish spooky.

Good fishing levels are around 250-400 cfs.

Maybe we'll get some rain before the weekend.

Troutbert, how did you and your friend do this past Saturday?

It was beautiful this weekend, but tough fishing - at least for me. Poe Paddy is a bit of a koan for me. I love it up there, but I always seem to have a tough time on the stream. That's part of the reason I keep going back is that it forces me outside of my normal flies and technique and gets me to try new things. I'm hoping this will make me a better fly fisherman... someday.

I did land a few browns on an elk hair caddis fished in the foam. They loved that. Couldn't get anything on nymphs or streamers. The leaves are changing, and the weather is great, so it's a beautiful time to be on the water. There were quite a few hours where I had the stream to myself also. I fished around the Poe Paddy section. Some rain would do the stream good.

999768_10154651488455195_3687720583242441603_n.jpg

10636012_10154655362545195_2573993240088226518_n_zpsc31b1dca.jpg

OldLefty wrote:
Troutbert, how did you and your friend do this past Saturday?

Not very well. We both caught some small ones, and missed a few.

There were bugs. Isonychia were hatching pretty good. And some White Mayflies at dusk. Various caddis, clouds of midges, Iso spinners and various other spinners at dusk.

And some rising trout; not huge numbers but some. It's just tough when the water is that low, and IMHO not as enjoyable as when there is more water coming down the creek.

This time of year the weather and scenery makes it a great time to get outdoors, though.

Troutbert..... I'm glad I wasn't the only one having a tough time landing some fish. I wasn't sure if I was fishing it completely wrong or what. I also saw quite a few rises.

Fished Ingleby last Wednesday thru Saturday, brought in some real nice brownies. Did catch two fat rainbows at Cherry Run, do they come up from the Sportsman Club stockings?

Back