Pine Creek DHALO

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Hey guys. So continuing my time here down here in Carnegie outside of Pittsburgh I had a chance to explore some of the local streams. Chartiers creek wasn't all to great, water was low and it does seem very polluted. I still fished it and had a few sunnies bite but that was it. I drove to Montour Run on Labor Day. Not a bad spot but only a few bites. I did hook a SMB only to have my line break 2 feet infront of me while pulling it in. :evil: I might try there again if I get the chance, or I was thinking of checking out the Pine Creek DHALO. Reason I'm posting is to see if anyone has been to Pine Creek recently. When searching reports I only see some from eariler this year so any current info would be great. Thanks guys.

None of those streams are going to have any trout. Most stocked trout are in streams that don't have the ability for the trout to reproduce. We had a BAD summer in terms of rain and there is next to no trout left in many stocked streams in the state.

^^True. These streams simply get too warm in the summertime for fish to survive. They don't hold over, they die in summer's heat. And this summer was a bad one. That's why these streams must be stocked. Hence, they won't have any trout in them right now.

Some may get a fall stocking. Usually October. Check stocking schedules on PFBC website. If it's not fall-stocked, you won't be able to catch trout in it until it gets stocked next spring.

what about SMB and/or carp...bluegills?...I know trout isnt a possibility but if there is something to fish and its a good spot its reason enough to go

If you don't mind driving 1 to 1.5 hours, you can be on some pretty good streams in the laurel highlands

I stopped at the Pine Creek DHALO yesterday to play with the Smallies and Carp. There are very few fish in there, but if you walk a bit you can find some deeper spots holding bass. There are no trout there.

Right under the bridge on the way in are some monster carp, but good luck catching them...

This stream was set to be stocked yesterday, but that has been delayed. Once we get some rain, maybe they'll throw some fish in to play with...

ryguyfi wrote:
We had a BAD summer in terms of rain and there is next to no trout left in many stocked streams in the state.

Although we have had a rough summer in terms of water, every stocked stream that I have fished in my area has still had holdovers in them.

csoult,

The problem is that this area of the state sucks for trout. Not a single wild trout stream in my county. All the stockers are toast unless there's a fall stocking. And the fall stocking doesn't look like it's going to happen much anymore.

So the only game in town is to travel... Erie for steelhead or ANF area for me.

I know. I really do feel bad for you guys. It's gotta be hard being a fly fisherman in Pittsburgh. I have a friend that writes about it.
http://troutpurgatory.wordpress.com/

+1 ^ csoult: The FRACKERS are allowed to take around 48 million gallons of water PER DAY from the watersheds of 10 counties in the SW region of PA. That could be a factor for the water levels! :'(

Stocking has been rescheduled to Oct 11th. I would really like to help as I've never taken part in this, but the meet up time is 1 AM? Seems like an odd time to do that.... typo?

Back