Pa Game Prescribed Fire Plans

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
I thought this was interesting about prescribed fires by the Pa Game Commission.

Map of the controlled burns beginning on March 22, 2022.

What is a prescribed fire?

A prescribed fire, or prescribed burn, is an organized, coordinated effort that works to apply fire at the right place, at the right time, and at the right intensity to improve the health and resilience of forests, grasslands and shrublands. A prescribed fire is very different from a wildfire because it is planned months, sometimes even years, in advance. The burns are conducted under precise weather conditions (i.e., the prescription) by trained crews. Wildfires on the other hand, are unplanned fires that occur during extreme conditions, which can pose threats to public safety and cause damage to natural resources. More details

Don’t ever go fishing when they do it. There’s a lot of smoke and can’t barely breath. All depends on which way the wind blows.

They used to send out press release ahead of these burns when I worked news in Boise. Probably worried we'd show up for the fire if they didn't. And we would have. kinda wondered of they did that here. There is a lot of fuel on the forest floors here that could use a good burning before the whole place goes up. .

The PGC has done numerous prescribed fires on the gamelands that flank Spring Creek Canyon in recent years, on areas being managed as grasslands.

It's interesting to see the charred fields, then see the green new growth.

One thing that disappointed me a little bit, though, is that prescribed fire doesn't kill all the invasive shrubs, such as autumn olive and multi-flora rose. Some does get killed, but not all of it.

I have been reading a lot about Native Americans in the Pre-Colombia period. Not a lot of detail in many of those accounts, but in much of the history is how it was common practice to have prescribed fires. It is suggested that it was mostly for improved game habitat, but also for agriculture too.

Back