ny stocking

N

nOObmaster

i live close to NY border and and fish there sometimes.

i saw ny's trout stocking schedule published as a general week (eg: april 3rd week) rather than specific date like PA

does anyone have a general idea when they stock? [start, middle or end of the week etc]

Last edited:
Wouldn't you like to know!

You might also like to know if the particular county has their own hatchery/stocking program that is operated separately from the state.

Or, you might even want to know where wild trout streams are.

Exciting news: these are just a few of the things NY state would prefer to keep mostly veiled in mystery. Have fun out there!

I like fishing New York, although the fishing seems to start in late April for me. The Catskills, the Adirondacks, and the Lake O tribs are all very popular, but there are plenty of lightly fished gems in the rest of the state. Also, in the middle of the state the catch and cook crowd tends more to yellow perch and walleye tending to leave trout alone.

The one reason I like when a state lists the stocking day is I know where and when not to fish. Great tool to avoid the truck followers and get away from the crowds. Just pick good spots and fish them.

I like fishing New York, although the fishing seems to start in late April for me. The Catskills, the Adirondacks, and the Lake O tribs are all very popular, but there are plenty of lightly fished gems in the rest of the state. Also, in the middle of the state the catch and cook crowd tends more to yellow perch and walleye tending to leave trout alone.

The one reason I like when a state lists the stocking day is I know where and when not to fish. Great tool to avoid the truck followers and get away from the crowds. Just pick good spots and fish them.

I haven't been fishing that long. Since i have taken up fly fishing (8 months and 60+ days of fishing), i have seen just ONCE someone else actually fishing other than myself on the same stream. which was few days ago on a well known stocking stream (my first time there).

I just want to see what the 'opening day' hoopla is all about.

The end of winter. A tradition that's older than me in which guys with flashlights pick night crawlers, dig red worms, and drive to a crick that has stocked trout in it. Sort of like hunting which is camping with guns. GG

Opening day in ny was April 1st

I help TU with stocking the Cohocton River once a year, and there are folks that follow the trucks around, and dip their rods as soon as we leave. I did this originally just to get to know the stream, we make about 25 stops for 25 miles of the river.

I fish NY a good bit, and drive past several stocked trout streams to get to my perch, walleye and crappie fishing lakes.

I don’t see the spectacle of truck chasing and combat fishing that is so common here in PA, (with the exception of a few finger lakes tribs) and I attribute that to anglers not knowing the exact date, time and place the trout will be stocked.

I fish NY a good bit, and drive past several stocked trout streams to get to my perch, walleye and crappie fishing lakes.

I don’t see the spectacle of truck chasing and combat fishing that is so common here in PA, (with the exception of a few finger lakes tribs) and I attribute that to anglers not knowing the exact date, time and place the trout will be stocked.

makes sense.

wife is out of town this weekend, i am going to fish various streams in 3 days (rain or shine), this will be fun :)

Took a break during lunch (benefits of working from home), went to near by PA stocked stream. i pulled into parking lot there were half a dozen cars there. pretty much all of them are fishing within 100 yards of parking lot. i hiked down half a mile through the brush and wading through the stream. 2 hours of fishing caught a few brownies and headed back home. Again i noticed all the fishermen are exactly at the same spots, within 100 yards of parking lot. is there a reason why everyone is fishing so close? do the stocked trout don't move much?

Ff1

Ff2

The end of winter. A tradition that's older than me in which guys with flashlights pick night crawlers, dig red worms, and drive to a crick that has stocked trout in it. Sort of like hunting which is camping with guns. GG
Dear GG,

I thought you were talking about getting the worms ready for sitting around a pond at night by a campfire fishing for bullheads.

I lived in Upstate NY for 11 years, and I knew it was Spring when I saw the lanterns and campfires.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Wouldn't you like to know!

You might also like to know if the particular county has their own hatchery/stocking program that is operated separately from the state.

Or, you might even want to know where wild trout streams are.

Exciting news: these are just a few of the things NY state would prefer to keep mostly veiled in mystery. Have fun out there!
Dear hooker-of-men,

Back in the day when I lived in NYSDEC District 7 I could walk into the office in Kirkwood NY and pick up all that info and then some from stapled together flyers they left in the lobby.

Funny how in the information age there is less real information available?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back