New Member-Western Pa

L

Lionsbluewhite

Hello to all. I’m a fly fishing newbie from Western PA. I just found this forum and have been enjoying reading about all things fly fishing. Jeez there is so much to learn! Anyway my casting is starting to get a little better so now if I could only catch a damn fish! Lol

Welcome Lions.
We have a beginner's forum that exists to provide a space for newbie's to ask questions. There is indeed much to learn as fly fishing (FFing) is a detail oriented sport. In the meantime, go hit some small warm water creeks this summer - there are many in western PA - and target sunfish and bass. You will improve your casting etc. and catch a ton of fish. Good luck.
Dave

Welcome to PAFF, Lions. I’d second DaveW’s suggestion to target some WW species. We are in the heart of the WW season right now and it’s a ton of fun as well as often a bit underrated. Good luck!

Pardon my ignorance but what is WW?

Warm Water

Pardon my ignorance but what is WW?
Pardon our use of acronyms (you'll pick 'em up - we're happy to explain 'em).

"Warm water" on this forum generally means streams that hold bass and sunfish and refers to streams that don't hold trout during the summer. Many stocked trout streams are in fact warm water due to getting too hot during summer.

A WW FFer would target species other than trout in the streams. WW species generally refers to bass and sunfish but really means anything other than trout/salmon. I spend most of my summer and a good part of the spring and fall targeting WW species.

More broadly, you will sometimes hear WW in reference to lakes and rivers that hold bass etc.

Back