Marietta access?

mdamm318

mdamm318

A friend of mine is going to be in town early this summer and he has in laws in Marietta. He was asking if I would meet him to maybe do some wet wading in the Susquehanna for smallmouth. I'm not familiar with that area and was wondering about access and if wading is possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, but generally the York Co side has much better habitat within the wading zone in the long pool along which Marierra is located. The Lancaster Co side has much more sediment and soft bottom. A local, however, probably knows where to find some hard bottom areas on the Lancaster Co side.

If you have a bike or don't mind walking a mile or so, take the Northwest River Trail from Riverfront Park in East Donegal Twp. upriver to the Shock's Mill RR bridge. There appears to be some nice water there. The park is only a few minutes up Rt. 441 from Marietta.

A friend of mine is going to be in town early this summer and he has in laws in Marietta. He was asking if I would meet him to maybe do some wet wading in the Susquehanna for smallmouth. I'm not familiar with that area and was wondering about access and if wading is possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Personally I'd go further up to Falmouth.
Take the trail and rock hop all the rocks out there. You can get pretty far and fish a ton of both shallow and deep water. The closer you get to the dam, away from the parking lot, the better.

Some days it fishes terrible , other days very good.

Personally I'd go further up to Falmouth.

Some days it fishes terrible , other days very good.
Couldn't agree more. You can cover a lot of water when the river level drops. Just be careful though as the rocks can be very slippery and will drop you like a bad habit!

IMG 5110

salvelinus:

If you have a bike or don't mind walking a mile or so, take the Northwest River Trail from Riverfront Park in East Donegal Twp. upriver to the Shock's Mill RR bridge. There appears to be some nice water there. The park is only a few minutes up Rt. 441 from Marietta.

That can be some nice broken water up there when the flow comes down. I caught this channel cat below the railroad bridge on a black/purple Clouser a few years back:

IMG 4831

Last edited:
Back