Mapping Apps for fishing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Harmful or Helpful?...

Last edited:
I have been using GPS Fishing Guide to PA since about 2017 and I emailed them at support@gogalpublishing.com and ask how to update the app a few months back. I finely got a reply telling me that they are no longer supporting that app. The last update they put out was on 3 April 2020.

Also if you Google gogalpublishing.com it comes up with Gogal Publishing CLOSED as of 12/31/2020.

Now if you check the Apple app store is states that GPS Fishing Guide to PA in owned by Red Sky Engineering, LLC and they are based out of Lake Mary, Florida, are they going to update and support GPS Fishing Guide to PA, I don’t think so, as a fishing app for one state does not look like anything there into after looking at their website.

I'm going to give TroutRoutes a try.

Helpful. Agree with author. Glowing review of 1 spot concentrates pressure. Information on a lot of spots presented as a package spreads it out, and encourages anglers to fish more places.

I've been using onX for years to keep track of places that I've visited, parking access points that I find through both online and on the ground research, special regulation stretches, downloaded maps for online use, places where I've found success, properly boundaries, landowner data etc.

In 2022, I'm making it a point to drop an onX pin every time I fish. Pins will include photos and descriptions of fish, weather conditions, water levels, and temperatures, flies that worked, etc. I've been on the water 9 times this year and have already found it helpful to review conditions and results from my outings. I'm certain that a few months or even years worth of data will be an unbelievable tool. However, all of this is private, and although you do have the ability to share a pin with other onX users, that is entirely optional and something that you need to do on purpose.

onX is not a social network for hunters and anglers like FishBrain nor is it a tool to open and find prepopulated fishing locations like TroutRoutes. It would be best to think of onX as a private journal for documenting places that you want to fish or places that you have fished.

These types of apps give me a little bit of anxiety due to the potential of them disappearing or dropping support over the years, but onX is an industry-standard for scouting in the hunting world with a growing team of professionals and a continuous stream of new features. I promise I'm not sponsored by them! If you're looking for a digital tool to keep track of your outings, I think it's worth a look.

I agree that hunt onx is a great resource for mapping, scouting for, and/or finding fishing locations. It makes it very easy to identify areas accessible on public land and access points for fishing areas.

There are also several great mapping resources available through the PA fish and boat commission website. These can be used to find trout waters of different classifications (stocked, natural reproducing streams, class a, etc.)

I agree that hunt onx is a great resource for mapping, scouting for, and/or finding fishing locations. It makes it very easy to identify areas accessible on public land and access points for fishing areas.

There are also several great mapping resources available through the PA fish and boat commission website. These can be used to find trout waters of different classifications (stocked, natural reproducing streams, class a, etc.)
Agreed on the PAFB maps. They're great resources!

Agreed on the PAFB maps. They're great resources!
Yeah but I've found they generally don't play well with mobile. Has this improved? Has been a couple of years since I tried to use them in the field.

Yeah but I've found they generally don't play well with mobile. Has this improved? Has been a couple of years since I tried to use them in the field.

No it hasn’t improved on a smartphone, I use it only on my computer but tried it today on my new phone and trout stream markings disappear when you zoom in. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

onX is a great tool for finding public access (or private ownership) and collates a ton of info into one app. That said. everything that is does is available elsewhere, separately, for free. However, the convenience and ease of use is awesome.

Back