Manatawny Creek - Regs/Open Season?

F

FlyLikeTheFish

Hi All,

I went to the Manatawny a few years ago with a friend after a scheduled stock. Beautiful scenery and had a great time. Just went to Yellow Breeches this morning and had some luck, and I'd like to hit up the Manatawny next weekend (half the driving time is an incentive).

Is the Manatawny open season year-round like YB or is it closed March-Opening season like other trout waters I've come across?

Does the Manatawny hold trout year round, or only when stocked and few holdovers?

Any help is appreciated!

Manny is closed until opening day, at least in the public access areas. Depending on the year, it def holds over fish and there are some wild fish in there. It does get warm, though, and rainbows especially are looking sickly by July on warm/low water years. That wild population also fluctuates based on conditions each year, but certain areas historically hold wild fish because of habitat, water temps, etc.. With some exceptions, the wild fish probably spawn in the tributaries, many of which have some limestone influence and are mostly purple painted/posted. It has good hatches too. Get at it in May (or mid-April this year!) once the gear guys had their fill of stocked trouts. Also can be a good fall and winter fishery in places when the water throughout the watershed cools and wild fish move around.

Thanks @Nymph-wristed! Saved me a drive to find out the stream was closed in March. It was very pretty last time I was there, so I do hope to go during the stocking season.

Tight lines

Yellow breeches is not open year round. Only a small section of the stream designated catch and release, artificial lures only is open year round.

Back