Logging On Clark Creek

salmo

salmo

While fishing Clark's above the reservoir last week I noticed a good amount of logging. Most of the activity seemed to be across the road from the stream. There did not appear to be much in the way of silt fencing or ways to reduce runoff. Since I am relatively new to the Creek I was wondering if others were concerned. Some of the logging was in the "watershed" area where other dangerous activities like fishing are prohibited. I am not opposed to logging, but hope logging companies practice environmentally safe logging to reduce runoff and other stream damage.

Does anybody know where I can get the regulations on activities in the Dehart watershed?

I'm not sure Salmo, but last year at this Time, Jayl, myself and a few others from the board were there and noticed serious runoff coming from those sites. I called DFTU's stream steward who gave me a number for the local WCO, who called me right back and told me he'd go check it out in the morning. I've never really heard back from him, but I checked it out last week when I was up. They actually do have limestone buffers on the down slopes, just not between the site and the road, so the small tribs should be relatively insulated from runoff, which was not the case at all last year. If anything it might be bad for a year class or two, then the brush around the small tribs will actually be thicker than before, as far as I can tell. I might be a bit biased, though, being a grouse hunter.

Boyer

Can anybody tell me if you are allowed to fish immediately upstream from the reservoir? I saw the posting signs for the Dehart Reservoir and I thought it said no fishing in the watershed area. On close inspection of the stream banks it was clear that the area I was fishing had been regularly fished.

Yeah, you can fish right down to the top of the reservoir, where there is sign along the stream to let you know to go no further. The last time I pushed my luck and went 25 feet past it a guy showed up within 10 minutes to let me know that my presence wasn't appreciated. He was nice that day and gave us a break, but I know a few people who weren't given the benefit of the doubt and just got the fine. I've always found that from the sign up the fishing kinda sucks for about 1/2 a mile anyhow, as it's slow, flat and laden with 2 inch sunnies. The sign you saw at the top of the watershed has always been there and I think it's just a CYA in case somebody gets hurt. I've definitely helped stock up there many times and the WCO never wrote us a ticket for trespassing, since he was the one handing us the buckets.

Boyer

How far up do they stock?

To around where the houses start. It's pretty far up, but they are really spread out the further up you go.

Boyer

A few years ago below the white barn, they built a road down through that field and a bridge across the creek. From what I heard it was for logging, I haven't been down that way in awhile, just wondering if they started using it?

PaulG

PaulG,

Yes, I spoke with the man running the logging company once. From what I have ever seen, they are very conscientious about sediment control. I think the same company logs Stony Valley as well.

If anyone sees a sediment problem a creek in a SGL, contact the Game Commission.
Pennsylvania Game Commission
2001 Elmerton Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17110-9797
(717) 787-4250

From all I've heard they are quite serious about erosion control, and the contracts to log the game lands are competitive.

Logging and agriculture regulations are a lot less stringent than those required for land development. The Dauphin County Conservation district is located right off 225 about 1/2 mile from the turn off to clarks on rte 325. This is about to change.

[color=0000CC]PADEP Announces Opening of Public Comment Period for New Erosion and Sediment and Stormwater Regulations: [/color]Environmental Protection Secretary John Hanger announced last week that the Environmental Quality Board will accept public comment on proposed changes to Pennsylvania’s erosion and sediment control and stormwater management regulations.

Proposed changes include: requirements for establishing and protecting existing streamside and riverside forest buffers; increasing protection for exceptional value waterways; incorporating existing post-construction stormwater management requirements into state regulation to bring Pennsylvania into line with federal requirements; an updated permit fee structure; and a new permit-by-rule option.

Public meetings and hearings:

* Sept. 29 at the Cranberry Township Municipal Building, 2525 Rochester Road, Butler County. The public meeting is at 4 p.m. and the public hearing is at 5 p.m.
* Oct. 1 at the Department of Environmental Protection, Southcentral Regional Office, Susquehanna Room B, 909 Elmerton Ave., Harrisburg. The public meeting is at 4 p.m. and the public hearing is at 5 p.m.
* Oct. 5 at the Salisbury Township Municipal Building, 2900 South Pike Avenue, Allentown. The public meeting is at 4 p.m. and the public hearing is at 5 p.m.

I would contact Paul Wentz at the conservation district, pwentz@dauphinc.org

1451 Peters Mountain Road Dauphin PA 17018 phone: 717-921-8100 fax: 717-921-8276

http://www.dauphincd.org/general/contacts.html

Thanks to all for the informative responses.

Salmo

Back