Killing invasive NZ mud snails

What does it do to your waders?

I have not noticed any issues with wader deterioration with the 409 degreaser. Bleach is bad news. Freezing for 24 hours is another option.

In the above link above Clorox bleach is rated an "F" and the first line states:
"High Concern: acute aquatic toxicity"

In the link to the article I posted in the OP, these experiments were done as part of his recent doctoral degree and the study was published in the North American Journal of Fisheries Management.

From the article:

“They (anglers) would like the least amount of effort and the lowest amount of risk to damage their gear and that turned out to also be spraying for 10 minutes with the Formula 409."

"Recommended decontamination steps include removing any snails visible on wading and fishing gear; using a stiff-bristled brush to wipe off all debris; spraying gear liberally with Formula 409 while at a distance from surface waters; letting the chemical remain on the gear for at least 10 minutes; and rinsing the gear with clean water."

From the link above 409 is rated a D and from the list of ingredients:

Known Ingredients

Health, Environment, and Disclosure Concerns

ETHANOLAMINE

Moderate Concern: general systemic/organ effects; Some Concern: chronic aquatic toxicity, nervous system effects, skin irritation/allergies/damage, respiratory effects, developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects.

Just wonderin' is acute worse than chronic.. .;)

Just sayin it ain't all good...

You need need 409 degreaser specifically to have the desired lethal affect on several invasive species. The waders should be dried and or rinsed thoroughly to avoid impacting a stream during use afterwards.

From the link above 409 is rated a D and from the list of ingredients:

Known Ingredients

Health, Environment, and Disclosure Concerns

ETHANOLAMINE

Moderate Concern: general systemic/organ effects; Some Concern: chronic aquatic toxicity, nervous system effects, skin irritation/allergies/damage, respiratory effects, developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects.

Just wonderin' is acute worse than chronic.. .;)

Just sayin it ain't all good...
I try to post helpful and accurate info from reliable sources for our board members to read.

From the link I posted above, here's what the American Fisheries Society wrote and published in the North American Journal of Fisheries Managements from their scientific study:

"Our ADM indicates that spraying gear with Formula 409 is the most effective NZMS decontamination strategy that anglers are willing to use. Our study is the first to combine the efficacy of NZMS decontaminants and angler willingness to adopt a decontamination strategy. By doing so, we hope to encourage the widespread use of NZMS decontamination of fishing gear to limit the spread and impacts of this increasingly relevant invasive species."
"Recommended decontamination steps include removing any snails visible on wading and fishing gear; using a stiff-bristled brush to wipe off all debris; spraying gear liberally with Formula 409 while at a distance from surface waters; letting the chemical remain on the gear for at least 10 minutes; and rinsing the gear with clean water."

So yes, I would recommend using Formula 409 to kill NZ mud snails on wading gear based on this recommendation.

So yes, I would recommend using Formula 409 to kill NZ mud snails on wading gear based on this recommendation.

But admonish the use of Clorox based on: High Concern: acute aquatic toxicity while ignoring:

ETHANOLAMINE (an ingredient in the endorsed 409)

Some Concern: chronic aquatic toxicity...

So I guess it's "kill the snails" 'cause it makes us feel good about ourselves like wearing rubber bottomed shoes...

...but don't worry about killing the fish the snails are supposed to effect...

;)

I like the freeze method or the don’t stock trout that may contain mudsnail from eating them in a hatchery that can poop them out live in nee waterways.

But admonish the use of Clorox based on: High Concern: acute aquatic toxicity while ignoring:

ETHANOLAMINE (an ingredient in the endorsed 409)

Some Concern: chronic aquatic toxicity...

So I guess it's "kill the snails" 'cause it makes us feel good about ourselves like wearing rubber bottomed shoes...

...but don't worry about killing the fish the snails are supposed to effect...

;)
I have no doubt the findings and recommendations of the American Fisheries Society from a doctorate study/experiment trumps any conjecture on your part.

Let's face it guys, Spring Creek is infested with NZ mud snails and many of us fish Spring Creek and drive to many neighboring streams to fish. We should all do your part to not spread this invasive to other Central PA streams. Carry extra wading gear and change them out or do your best to inspect and clean your boots and waders before fishing in other streams. Doing this is no great burden if it prevents the spread of something that could have a negative impact on our streams and rivers. We all should be about the protecting and conserving of our streams and rivers. Central PA is the "Mecca" of wild trout fishing in our state. Let's try to keep it that way now and for future generations.

I have no doubt the findings and recommendations of the American Fisheries Society from a doctorate study/experiment trumps any conjecture on your part.

Let's face it guys, Spring Creek is infested with NZ mud snails and many of us fish Spring Creek and drive to many neighboring streams to fish. We should all do your part to not spread this invasive to other Central PA streams. Carry extra wading gear and change them out or do your best to inspect and clean your boots and waders before fishing in other streams. Doing this is no great burden if it prevents the spread of something that could have a negative impact on our streams and rivers. We all should be about the protecting and conserving of our streams and rivers. Central PA is the "Mecca" of wild trout fishing in our state. Let's try to keep it that way now and for future generations.
On that note did anyone figure out where the trout from the infested benner and pleasant gap in spring were stocked so we know to flip rocks and look for mudsnails or if they pop up there we are aware?

I like the freeze method or the don’t stock trout that may contain mudsnail from eating them in a hatchery that can poop them out live in nee waterways.
It's almost as if @Fish Sticks has the best best solution, and it seems like stocking fish is the route of a majority of problems, who knew?

On that note did anyone figure out where the trout from the infested benner and pleasant gap in spring were stocked so we know to flip rocks and look for mudsnails or if they pop up there we are aware?
I'm hoping it's Spring Creek since there are already NZ mud snails there.

It's almost as if @Fish Sticks has the best best solution, and it seems like stocking fish is the route of a majority of problems, who knew?
Angler boots are a big concern for sure and I am going to get some 409 for trips where don’t have my trusty garage freezer but yea i don’t think trout eating them off PFBC raceways and pooping them out alive(a sexual, only need one to reproduce) is on anyones radar. Pfbc did some cleaning and opened a few fish to check their digestive tracts according to personnel i spoke to at the hatchery but they “could not guarantee NZ mudsnails would not be spread”

The irony
35C0497F D747 49B2 8CB6 726D0ABFD10A

The last point on the right really gets the brain juices flowing.

I suggest anglers here check the list of mud snail inhabited waters. The mud snails have predominantly shown up in streams with special reg areas and streams and rivers that are geographically close to or downstream from said special reg areas.

Last edited:
The last point on the right really gets the brain juices flowing.
Yea if you zoom in x 1,000,000 magnification it says “unless transporting millions of invasive trout species in white trucks all over the state of Pennsylvania”

I suggest anglers here the list of mud snail inhabited waters. The mud snails have predominantly shown up in streams with special reg areas and streams and rivers that are geographically close to or downstream from said special reg areas.
Mike do know where the fish in PG and benner usually go ti geographically?

I am curious too.

Back