Kelly Galloup on Euronymphing

As a side note, I liked em all. Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston, Hank Parker, etc. But the Lindner family and In-Fisherman were probably the best. They offered more tips and strategies for a wide variety of fish and situations, not just bass.
I'm a tad older so I'm a Jerry McKinnis guy. Loved the Fishin' Hole, though it was bass centric he did go for trout every once in a while. There's an episode with him and Bobby Knight on the White River in Arkansas that I remember.

I'm a tad older so I'm a Jerry McKinnis guy. Loved the Fishin' Hole, though it was bass centric he did go for trout every once in a while. There's an episode with him and Bobby Knight on the White River in Arkansas that I remember.
Dear Dom,

Do you remember the "Fishin' Hole" where Jerry caught a 20 plus pound brown trout in Flaming Gorge Reservoir on an ultra-light with 4# test and a micro-jig?

I do and when I made my first trip to the Green River we stopped and walked across the dam causeway to survey the size of the lake. I flipped a quarter into the water and watched it flash until I saw a flash that looked to be the size of a 50 gallon galvanized garbage can lid eat it. ;)

I liked Jerry's dachshund. "Narrrrman" was how he pronounced his name. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Dom,

Do you remember the "Fishin' Hole" where Jerry caught a 20 plus pound brown trout in Flaming Gorge Reservoir on an ultra-light with 4# test and a micro-jig?

I do and when I made my first trip to the Green River we stopped and walked across the dam causeway to survey the size of the lake. I flipped a quarter into the water and watched it flash until I saw a flash that looked to be the size of a 50 gallon galvanized garbage can lid eat it. ;)

I liked Jerry's dachshund. "Narrrrman" was how he pronounced his name. ;)

Regards,

He also fished with Barney Fife for steelhead on the Gold River on Vancouver Island.

I don't recall Jerry McKinnis. I did, however, buy the Banjo Minnow from the infomercial......Or I should say, suckered my parents into buying it for me....
Ahhh... The Banjo Minnow... Wasn't that hawked as a whole lure system and not just a simple lure? (Sort of like how Rainbow vacuums were a whole cleaning system.) My adult neighbor (same age as I was) bought into the Banjo Minnow and used about 1% of the items that came in the box - no idea what he eventually did with the other 99%. (He also bought into the cattle futures scam in the early '90s. He would have been a poster child for PT Barnum had he been born generations earlier.)

Y
Ahhh... The Banjo Minnow... Wasn't that hawked as a whole lure system and not just a simple lure? (Sort of like how Rainbow vacuums were a whole cleaning system.) My adult neighbor (same age as I was) bought into the Banjo Minnow and used about 1% of the items that came in the box - no idea what he eventually did with the other 99%. (He also bought into the cattle futures scam in the early '90s. He would have been a poster child for PT Barnum had he been born generations earlier.)
Yeah, the Banjo Minnow was a scam. It was a system. Zoom Flukes and a wide gap hook accomplished the same thing.

I remember watching Flip Pallot on "Walker's Cay Chronicles" and Jose Wejebe on "Spanish Fly".
I wasn't into bass fishing shows but I remember Hank Parker because he was friends with Dale Earnhardt. Also "One More Cast" with Shaw Grigsby sticks in my head, but I don't remember many episodes.

How about Virgil Ward
Or Gadabout Gaddis?

Curt Gowdy had some great "American Sportsman" episodes back in the old days too.

Regards,

Curt Gowdy with Phil Harris were classics but I don't believe I saw Phil fishing. Could be wrong, mostly bird hunting

Banjo Minnow a scam my a$$. It was outlwawed in 27 states! Just sayin.

Curt Gowdy with Phil Harris were classics but I don't believe I saw Phil fishing. Could be wrong, mostly bird hunting
Dear Tigereye,

I remember an American Sportsman episode from long ago where Curt was fishing in PA with Charlie Fox somewhere in the Carlisle PA area. It may have been on the Letort, but I think they were also on the upper Yellow Breeches above the Huntsdale hatchery and were fishing grasshoppers.

Don't quote me on any of that, because it was definitely about 50 years ago, give or take a couple of years! ;)

Regards,

I rememer that episode now. THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES. Lord, I miss that show. Sunday afternoons after dinner. Once they started with hang-gliding, rock climbing, skiing etc, the show wasn't worth watching.

I rememer that episode now. THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES. Lord, I miss that show. Sunday afternoons after dinner. Once they started with hang-gliding, rock climbing, skiing etc, the show wasn't worth watching.
I am too young for the American Sportsman, but I love Jack Dennis' YouTube channel and watched that episode on there not long ago.

Last edited:
How about Virgil Ward

YES! I could picture him but not remember his name. Enjoyed that show, American Sportsman and Fly Fishing the World with John Barrett.

Anyone ever watch ESPN's "In Search of Fly Water" with "Coz" and that bombshell chick? Used to enjoy that one but it might have been hormones at that time of my life. 😂

As long as we are on nostalgia lane does anyone recall the movie (in theaters) may have been American Sportsman? I believe It featured Jack O'Connor and his American slam on sheep. I'm guessing late 60s early 70s

Or Gadabout Gaddis?

Curt Gowdy had some great "American Sportsman" episodes back in the old days too.

Regards,

Wow, I think I read his biography/autobiography as a kid. The Flying Fisherman?

Wow, I think I read his biography/autobiography as a kid. The Flying Fisherman?
Dear Nymph-wristed,

You got it right. He bought an airport in Maine so he could come and go as he pleased.

Regards,

Tom Rosenbauer has a similar article in the latest issue of “Trout”, the Trout Unlimited magazine. His sentiments are along the lines of Kelly’s. I’m 71. Been trout fishing since I was 23. Been fly fishing and fly tying since 1993. At that time, strike indicators were coming in vogue. I learned fly tying from a very accomplished fly fisherman who was friends with a few of the icons of PA fly fishing. He had no problem with strike indicators. 90% of my fishing is done with multiple nymph/ wet fly rigs with a strike indicator. I have a reel set up for euro nymphing and have had success euro nymphing. I tie lots of euro flies which I use with my strike indicator. I just prefer my method and many times I out fish my friend who euro fishes. I’ve fished all the central PA limestones this way. I fished Big Spring when the “Ditch” was there before they removed the hatchery. I fish dries, wet flies, nymphs and streamers. I also constantly switch flies till I find what works. I have been a self taught semi professional guitar player who never took a formal lesson. I also play several other instruments and and am still playing in a working band. Professionally, I have been dental technician for 51 years, self employed for the last 42. This is not a one size fits all profession. The point I’m trying to make is learn to think outside box. If you don’t look at something from all angles, you’re being intellectually dishonest. Whatever works best. I’m an old guy who doesn’t mind others euro fishing.

YES! I could picture him but not remember his name. Enjoyed that show, American Sportsman and Fly Fishing the World with John Barrett.

Anyone ever watch ESPN's "In Search of Fly Water" with "Coz" and that bombshell chick? Used to enjoy that one but it might have been hormones at that time of my life. 😂
Yep, I remember Fly Fishing the World with John Barrett. My fishing buddies were critical of that show but I liked it. And Flip Pallot's Walker Cay Chronicles was good. I had the opportunity to get some casting instruction from Flip a number of years back. Summers with Montana trout and winters with tarpon, permit and bonefish would not be a bad way to live. If only I could talk my wife into that plan.

Back