Jordan Ck: Numerous stoneflies seen today 2/2/24

M

Mike

Walked along the Jordan in Whitehall today and found that hundreds of little black stoneflies had been attracted to land on a bridge’s railing (about sz 20) and a few brown stoneflies (about sz 16-18) were in the mix. Some of the black stoneflies were making an x-rated video.

Did the trouts feel the urge to rise to the egg-layers?

Interesting, I saw these on Swatara creek in Hummelstown today as well. Is this the same?
IMG 9048

Did the trouts feel the urge to rise to the egg-layers?
None seen, but flow was high and it’s unlikely that many trout remain in that section as it gets warm and very low in summer.

Nice, Mike. They were active in a Berks County Class A on December 31st!

Any nymph suggestions for that small of a stone fly?

trout dont raise to these because they crawl out on the banks, best fly is a small black soft hackle fly to imitate the hatchling drifting in the current. its very rare to see a rising fish to these flys

Reactions: CRB
if you want to catch risers a small black caddis dry with a 3-4" tippet behind the fly with a white seed bead on a short shank hook in a 24-26 size works wonders. I layed along Lyman run one year and watch them in the egg laying stage, the females dip the egg cluster in the water and trout would bulge to get the eggs at the surface area. once they go below 4" they dissipate into hundreds and the trout don't go after them.

little black stones coming off the Delaware in Bucks County today.

Never knew that they are active so early. Thanks.
Oh, I am not claiming it's normal, but they were there climbing all over the rocks in late December '23...

Any nymph suggestions for that small of a stone fly?
Little black stonefly nymph. Nothing extravagant needed
Hook - TMC200R size 18 3XL
Thread - Black UTC70
Legs - black sili, Spanflex, whatever’s laying around
Body - Hareline midge tubing, black. Sometimes a black goose biot
Wing case - Black pheasant tail fibers
Thorax - Hareline stonefly dubbing

IMG 1070
IMG 8507

Nice, Mike. They were active in a Berks County Class A on December 31st!
Yo Nym - were these black stones last year the tiny #20s? Some call those snow flies. Or were they the early spring 16-18s? These bigger ones look like helicopters after the winter months of midges and tiny olives.

Yo Nym - were these black stones last year the tiny #20s? Some call those snow flies. Or were they the early spring 16-18s? These bigger ones look like helicopters after the winter months of midges and tiny olives.
These were the 16-18s, Les. I thought it was way early, but it was before that cold snap that lasted a bit. Def not size 20s you might see in the drifts on an early winter day.

To Beweave's question too, I had a solid day with a basic zebra midge on steroids, like a 16 with a larger silver bead fished near the bankside eddies and pockets, even a 16 soft hackle on the dropper tag.

Nothing fancy, to poopdeck's point.

Last edited:
My best day fishing during a Little Black/Little Brown emergence was when I fished a size 10 or 12 EWC in the requisite colors on a greased leader and skated the puppy with 12"+ strips over likely holding water. I've had many day of 30+ fish in short order when employing this technique at the appropriate time.

The best locations for this tactic were the the FFO section of the Big Bushkill (Section 4) and the Delayed Artificials Only section of McMichael's Creek (Section 5).

I've tried the same tactic on Class A Stream sections closer to home but the only response has been ridicule and laughter from the resident fish...

...Moral of the story, go to a stocked stretch. ;)

Back