It's that time of year-Susquehanna

barrybarry

barrybarry

Last night and tonight the mayflies have been hatching. The bridge was covered with them this morning. Here are a few pictures from tonight. No fish rising as usual. Fished a dry (Clouser Drake) for half an hour without a nudge. There were plenty of bugs on the water.
Switched to a nymph and caught a lot of small ones. 6 to 8-inch Smallies and some decent rock bass.

Attachments

• hatch1.jpg
    hatch1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 13
  • hatch3.jpg
    hatch3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
  • hatch4.jpg
    hatch4.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 8
My fav hatch by far

Something else has been really obvious this year. There is an awful lot of dead and dying catfish. Been seeing this on other Susquehanna river websites, so it's not a local problem. People say the reason is that they're spawning. I'm not so sure about that. This morning there was a small 8-inch channel cat hanging out beside me. Much too small I would guess to be spawning. Half of his head was white and he didn't seem to able to swim very well. Definitely on his way out.

Yeah. i saw numbers of dead catfish in river also. All were Channels from what I saw.

Growth rate assessments usually rely on what biologists call length-at-age data. For example, a growth assessment of channel catfish in Lake A reveals fish are 6 inches at the end of their first year of growth (age-1), 8.5 inches after their second year of growth (age-2), and 11 inches after their third year of growth (age-3). In Lake B, channel cats are 6 inches at age-1, 9 inches at age-2, and 12.5 inches at age-3. Length-at-age data show the fish in Lake B are growing faster than in Lake A during their second and third years.

Channel catfish usually become sexually mature at 3 years of age, although some may spawn when 2 years old. In wild populations they may not spawn until after the age of 5 years.

Doubtful but also possible.
I see this every year though. I am not surprised. I believe it is mostly spawn related.

Back