Is there any way to "paint" a store bought tapered leader?

P

PaScoGi

I mostly like to use dry dropper fishing, even if it means catching less fish. I am just not a numbers guy and if I catch one trout a day I am happy. To me casting a dry fly even when they arent rising is the best part of fly fishing, even if they are not rising I dont care I just attach a nymph.

I know the Euro guys will tell me to build my own mono rig, but to me thats just not worth it for someone like me who doesn't care about numbers.

However, I do agree with the Euro guys and the "sighter" concept.

When I come up on some deep pools I would like to be able to apply some Euro principles but still use my standard tapered leader. I use a Rio suppleflex. It does have a sort of olive finish to it but I would like to paint it chartreuse or bright yellow on the butt section to use it as a "sighter" without having to add a backing barrell or indicator etc.

I tried the skafars wax and it doesnt suit me, too messy.

Id like to be able to paint my butt section one time and have it always look bright like that.

Is this possible?

Cheap nail polish from one of those junk stores in the mall. Its what I paint poppers with. Should be able to get a coating on it. Or if you can find it, small shrink wrap tubing from an electrical store. Comes in all sorts of colors.

I mostly like to use dry dropper fishing, even if it means catching less fish. I am just not a numbers guy and if I catch one trout a day I am happy. To me casting a dry fly even when they arent rising is the best part of fly fishing, even if they are not rising I dont care I just attach a nymph.

I know the Euro guys will tell me to build my own mono rig, but to me thats just not worth it for someone like me who doesn't care about numbers.

However, I do agree with the Euro guys and the "sighter" concept.

When I come up on some deep pools I would like to be able to apply some Euro principles but still use my standard tapered leader. I use a Rio suppleflex. It does have a sort of olive finish to it but I would like to paint it chartreuse or bright yellow on the butt section to use it as a "sighter" without having to add a backing barrell or indicator etc.

I tried the skafars wax and it doesnt suit me, too messy.

Id like to be able to paint my butt section one time and have it always look bright like that.

Is this possible?
They actually sell "Hot Butt Leaders" > https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/product/hand-tied-hot-butt-leaders-designed-by-george-anderson-2/

Or you can create your own knotted leader by incorporating sighter material into the leader butt.

I add a couple of dots of "Strike Putty" to my leader just above the tippet section to use as a sighter for nymphing.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The very old school way to do this is to whip finish band of bright colored thread - do it just like tying a ferrule to a fly rod. Can slide the band up to adjust, but can't slide it down the leader because the leader gets thinner as you go down.

Adding a bright section of mono to your butt is another good way. Walmart options are a Stren Hi Vis line or Amnesia. Fly shops have more expensive colored tippet material that are multicolored. The sighter usually is easier to spot if it is two colored - for example a mix of blue and yellow Stren.

Better nymphing techniques are "not just about the numbers" IMHO. It is all about finding good lies, getting better drifts and being more in touch with your flies. That actually makes fishing more fun for me because it brings more skills into play. Of course, better skills will produce more fish.

You should be able to color it with an alcohol based permanent marker. It will be translucent but you should be able to see the color difference.

Look in the conventional tackle section for bobber stoppers like these.

Thread your leader through and set the bright yellow thread where you want it. You can put on a couple if you need better viability and they are easy to get off if you even care to.

You could even thread a brightly colored bead and peg it between two bobber stops IF it has a large enough hole to get to the point in your leader where you want it. If not, there are small 5mm & 3mm plastic beads out there that do.

Good luck!

Just nail knot an 8" piece of amnesia to your fly line and put a perfection loop in it to replace the welded loop. Then loop to loop your store bought leader to the amnesia.

Just nail knot an 8" piece of amnesia to your fly line and put a perfection loop in it to replace the welded loop. Then loop to loop your store bought leader to the amnesia.
This, except I would tie a blood knot and a perfection loop. no need to overthink everything.

Never used this stuff personally but I hear good reports. It should work pretty well for you.

I have not used it either, but that was what came to mind when I saw the OP's question. I have seen them use it in their YouTube vids too.

Thanks all, much appreciated!

Back