In search of a good net

I'll have to stay with my present one for now. Got kidded about being over optimistic about it's size. It's more the retangular type not cheap but the less expensive Cabelas's net works better and is lighter. As far as I'm, concerned its not the size of the net that matters the shape and basket depth make the net. Anyone netting a small spunky brookie that has a little baby net should relate.

i agree with fishidiot - getting one with a mesh sieve helps with fly selection. i got one from orvis.

Attachments

• net.JPG
    net.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 4
Never saw a net like that either, I've seen total mesh nets. Glad I did the post! So many more nets out there than I thought!

WetNet,

Measure the circumference of your current net handle and get yourself the appropriate sized Rubber replacement net bag for under $20 from http://www.themeasurenet.com/products.htm.

I did this about 2 years ago and I've been quite satisfied. The "large" size was appropriate for my handle and I've actually netted a few steelhead with my set-up. Mine is marginal for steelhead, but I'm comfortable that it will handle the trout I catch except for that once in a lifetime 30 incher I dream about.

wetnet- my motto is becoming "you'll only need the net when you don't have it" haha

No doubt it makes it easier to land fish and helps keep the fish in the water if you want a picture. Some of the biggest fish I have had on got off because I could not land them due to my lack of a net. I- for 3 years or more refused to carry one and it cost me good fish. Especially a pig rainbow from the South Platte.

The rubber replacement is a great idea. But to be quite honest I never thought about not having to actually net a fish. I let them go and don't need a picture. I'm starting to think a good look is enough for me since I'm not eating them anyway. I'll have to think about it for abit. I don't hook a ton yet and still like savoring the moment. Definitely something to ponder. Thanks for the insight!

Long story short get the type you need and the cheapest. It's a net!!! I have seen trout nets for over a hundred bucks! Who would pay that? :-? If your using it for trout that are on average 12-15 inches get the cheapest.

Back