I'm getting the Salt Water bug

Sorry, looks like I need a new photographer.

Dave could you send me a pm with some good locations at Barnagat unless you would like to come with :-D

Fred,
I'd be delighted to show you around Barnegat. Maybe we can link up this fall. As of yesterday, the report is pretty good with lots of blufish (smaller fish 1-5lbs) and the mullet run in full swing.
Check your PM.

Here's a link to a good tackle shop (and small diner - good breakfast!) that has a daily report on the fishing around Barnegat. While I am often skeptical of daily fishing reports posted by folks in the fishing business, Betty and Nicks is pretty accurate and realistic in my experience. They usually tell it like it is and have a good weather summary. Looks like today would be a nice day to be on the beach - man wish I was there!

http://bettyandnicks.com/fish.shtml

Been trying more of the salt the past 3 years but still have only gotten out a handful of times. This spring got out on a guided trip of the barneget bay sodbanks. Tons of fun.

Haven't had a ton of luck on the IBSP jettys yet, but do have to say i like the north side jetty better. But the walk up to the jetty can be a bit of a trudge with all the gear and korkers. PLEASE if you're going to fish jettys get some studded grips for your boots.

I've stayed at the IBSP Motor lodge. It's a good place with a swanky hotel restraunt/bar. I bit more expensive than i'd like. Just don't get out enough with my 3 year old and 5 month old daughters. Maybe in about 4 years i can put some actual time in. It's some of the most fun i've had with a fly rod as well as live lining huge bunker.

I have fished IBSP for years with my uncle. He just up and moved to Florida for some fairer weather fishing(snook, reds, tarpon) so I think that I am gonna keep going on my own and get a buggy permit this year for my jeep. In the past it has always been surf fishing for me with a good bit of success but now that I have purchased a nice new Helios 9wt, I am ready for some saltwater fly fishing. I used to go to BettyandNicks.com for fishing reports down on IBSP but the other day i was checking it and the site was down. Bassbarn.com is another good site to check out if you are looking for linesiders on the fly.

I too noticed Betty and Nick's website was down for a couple days but it is back up now. I have been visiting their site for years and have never seen it go down before.

Those fish better watch out Fri I just got my New Colton
CRGII 8-10 reel in the mail with a matching spool and had my Elixer switch line and outbound lines all spooled up on the reel and spool today for my Beulah switch rod :-D

What do you think of the reel?

I picked up the same one.

Well I haven't tested it yet on the stream but the drag is powerfull and smooth is isn't to noisy either it get anoying when you have a reel that makes a clicking noise when you reel in . And it has a nice backing compacity I put 200 yards of 30 dacron on mine.
clouser.jpg

clouser013.jpg

Yeah initially I'm pretty impressed with it. I like that is has no incoming click but it has outgoing. I like how smooth it is and if needed you could spin the spool to pick up a ton of line quickly (seen it done on tarpon many times). If that makes sense.

I def. can't wait to give it a workout and test the drag. For the price I paid you can't beat it with a stick. Bob has been a pleasure to deal with thus far too.

Well just got back from my trip to the island . The wind was blowing good so I decided to hit the bay area . So when I started getting ready I realized that I forgot my waders :cry: so I said F@@K it and wet waded with khakis on ;-) . I was a nice area to wade fish with a fly rod it like one big flat for the most part .I tried to do to many new things at once when I was there which made things harder than they should be.Iwas trying to learn how to cast two handed while using rio outbound intermedite with a stripping basket ,but i pulled it off for the most part and caught some of these guys the way they go after the fly reminds me alot like chain pickerel they hit it with bab intentions :-D
I'm deffinitelt going back probally this Fri . here is the only pics I took .
clouser014.jpg

clouser015.jpg

very cool. I haven't been back to the island for a while. I LOVE those yellow eyes! Even the small ones give a good bend in the rod.

I actually will have a day to fish on sunday. Wife taking the kids to the in-laws. Let me know if you're going to be heading down there.

Fred. Looks like a blast. Think my 9' 9wt could cut it? I may have to get a new line or shooting head since I just have DT.

I am definitely interested in going there in october.

Way to go Fred! Wading Barnegat Bay (I'm assuming that's where you were) can be a ton of fun. It's mostly hard bottom and even better if you've got a kayak to get further back. Snappers will attack any fly put in front of them and can put a dent in a pretty big fly rod. That one photo really shows their teeth. By mid October they will probably be running in much larger sizes - although this past week there was a 20+ pounder caught at IBSP.

Nice Fred! Good to see you got some action. Looks like your rod and reel worked pretty well for you.

Back